29: tucked in

"He's just a boy."

--☆--☆--☆--

Days at Chilton were long. Students went to class, took notes until their hands hurt, and listened to their teachers for eight hours straight, only to do it all over again the next day. The long days at Chilton were something the Gilmore twins were finally getting used to. People didn't really see them as the new kids anymore, they were just Chilton students.

So as they sat in Ms. Caldecott's debate class they took notes like their lives depended on it. Their hands started to cramp and the words on their pages were slightly smudged. But they listened intently and took detailed notes because they knew one day they'd be doing the same thing at an Ivy league school.

"As I mentioned yesterday, we will be holding a debate next week," Ms. Caldecott reminded the class. "Your subject 'Did Charles I receive a fair trial'. The pros will represent the parliament who deemed they had sovereignty and the cons will represent the monarch and try and prove that the charge against him was not legal," Ms. Caldecott told them. She turned her body, noticing Tristan who was sitting in his usual seat, but he wasn't focused like he normally was. "What is fascinating Mr. Dugray?"

"Uh," Tristan looked up, embarrassed about being caught unfocused, "nothing Ms. Caldecott."

"Nothing Mr. Dugray?"

"My notes - my notes are fascinating Ms. Caldecott," He said with a faux smile as he picked up his pen.

"Yes they are fascinating Mr. Dugray," She said before returning to the lesson. "As I was saying, the pro and con teams will each have two minutes and 30 seconds for introductions, six minutes to debate, three minutes for conclusions and five minutes for questions from the audience. The winner shall be decided by a hand count from the rest of the class. Does that sound like fun Mr. Dugray?" She asked, once again catching Tristan not paying attention to the lesson.

"What?"

"The debate. Does it sound like fun?"

"Yes, it does," Tristan answered in an unconvinced tone.

"It does, doesn't it Mr. Dugray?"

"Oh, it absolutely does Ms. Caldecott."

"More fun than staring at Miss Gilmore's ear?" The twins both looked up, they didn't know which one of the Ms. Caldecott was talking about. While Rory automatically assumed she was talking about Cassie, Cassie knew that Tristan was staring at Rory. Afterall she had lunch with the Dugray boy a couple times a week, she knew that he had a tendency to talk about Rory.