12: unwanted party guests

[tw: underage drinking]

"I drank the punch."

--☆--☆--☆--

The Gilmore twins were never good at acting, but tonight they'd have to put on the best show of their lives. Lorelai had met them after school to take them to their grandparents house. Throughout the entire ride all the twins could think about was all the places they'd rather be heading to. But of course eventually they arrived outside the house, and had to walk in with a smile on their faces.

"Jeez Mom, save some servants for the rest of the neighborhood," Lorelai said as they walked into the house.

"There they are- the birthday girls."

"Hey grandma."

"Wow, you really went all out, huh?"

"I wanted everything to be perfect. What do you think?" Emily asked.

The twins hesitated for a second. They needed time to swallow the words they really wanted to say about the party. "It's perfect," Cassie said first.

"I think Edith Wharton would have been proud, and busy taking notes," Lorelai added. "Here girls, go change," Lorelai handed Rory their dresses and the girls quickly made their exit.

They headed up the stairs towards the bedroom that belonged to Lorelai when she was their age. Cassie looked around the room, the room that trapped her mother in a life she didn't want.

"It's weird being in here," Rory whispered.

"Yeah. It is," Cassie agreed, still looking around the room. "I can't believe I have to be at this stupid party and dress up."

"We always have to dress up for the Grandparents."

"Yeah... but this time I really don't want to," Cassie pouted.

Rory sighed, seeing how annoyed Cassie already was. She knew the night was just going to get worse, and with Cassie's mood already low that was going to make things even more difficult. Rory knew she needed to keep up the brave face, maybe that way Cassie will be inclined to act happy too.