24: apple tarts

"We haven't connected yet

"We haven't connected yet."

--☆--☆--☆--

The Gilmore household was in a funk. Rory and Lorelai were fighting, and they never fight. Sure they get in petty arguments sometimes but those are always resolved within an hour, not this fight. This fight has been going on for days.

It all started after the dance, which was four days ago. Rory had accidentally stayed out all night, with Dean. Now that on its own is bad enough, but of course that's not all that happened. Emily, who happened to be one who realized Rory was missing, yelled at Lorelai. Telling her that she was a bad mother and Rory would end up just like her.

Now not only were Rory and Lorelai in a fight, but so were Lorelai and Emily. Which meant that the Gilmore twins would now be attending their grandparents Christmas party without their mother.

Cassie, who had been busy playing the middleman for four days, had no interest in going to the party. She was annoyed beyond belief. For two of the four days Cassie spent going back and forth exchanging words for her mother and sister. It didn't seem to matter to either of them that Cassie had something she wanted to tell them, something she needed their opinion on. No, they were too focused on their fight.

But of course, being the girl she was Cassie pretended like it was fine. She played the role of least importance.

"I wish you'd change your mind," Rory said from the kitchen.

Lorelai who was sitting on the couch didn't even turn her head as she spoke to her daughter. "It's not my mind that needs to be changed."

Cassie,  who was sitting beside her Lorelai, turned her head to look at her. Cassie hated the idea of going to her grandparents without Lorelai. "It's not my mind that needs to be changed," Lorelai announced.

"I don't think she meant it," Cassie guessed, but she hadn't heard the phone call between Lorelai and Emily.

"Oh, she meant it," Lorelai said, glancing over at her daughter.

"Well maybe she meant it at the time, but I bet she won't mean it later when we show up there without you," Rory told her mom.

"And without a map to follow that reasoning I say, Take a hat it's cold outside."

"Mom, please don't make us go alone," Cassie begged.

"You just wanna hold a grudge," Rory said looking down at the gift she was wrapping.

"Yes, it burns more calories,"

"That's not true."

"Yes it is, how do you think your grandma got those legs of hers? She's not exactly a Stairmaster gal."