34: firelight festival

"I prefer lacrosse players."

--☆--☆--☆--

The sun was too bright. The grass was too green. The smiles were too happy. The sparkles were too sparkly. There was too much love. And Lorelai hated all of it.

Stars Hollow's annual Firelight festival was right around the corner and everyone was in love. Even her own daughter's had butterflies in their stomachs. It was sickening. All Lorelai wanted was for this stupid festival to be over.

Now the Gilmore mom was sitting in the kitchen with a box of hamburger helper in her hand. Cassie was on the floor in the kitchen, attempting to finish her math homework. For some reason the youngest Gilmore could only focus when she was in bizarre places. Rory walked in from her room glancing down at her sister before looking over at her mom.

"No. Put that away," She said, putting her hands on the table.

Lorelai lowered the box, a frown on her face. "I want to cook."

"You can make soup," Rory reminded her.

"And you're really good at toasting our poptarts," Cassie added.

"No. I want to really cook like on the food channel," Lorelai whined. "I want to saute things and chop things. I want to arrange things on a plate. I wanna be the iron chef."

"Fine," Rory groaned, giving in to her mother.

"Really?" Lorelai asked, her eyes lighting up.

"Really?" Cassie asked, except her eyes were filled with concern.

"Yeah, I'll help," Rory answered her mom before glaring back at her sister.

"Okay, I need a pan," Lorelai read from the box.

"And a fire extinguisher," Rory muttered as Cassie closed her book and stood up.

She moved over to her sister, turning her head so when she spoke her mom wouldn't hear her. "Should I order pizza now or in twenty minutes?"

"Now, if I'd only bought some hamburger..."

"That answers my question," Cassie went to walk towards the phone as Rory turned around with pure shock on her face.

"You didn't buy hamburger?"

"Yes, I bought hamburger. I just like saying things like that so you look at me like crazy," Lorelai responded as she stood up to go to the fridge.