41: Mystique Guy

"Stop thinking about Dean."

--☆--☆--☆--

"I had the weirdest dream last night," Lorelai told her daughters. The three of them were in the kitchen, having a quick breakfast before they started their day. "We were in our house, but it wasn't our house, it was a Kentucky Fried Chicken."

"Well I'm hooked," Cassie smiled at her mom as she took her poptart out of the toaster.

"I had to get dressed, but my clothes were in the back. And the guy manning the giant oil vat would not let me through."

"Oh my god!" Rory turned, looking at her sister and mom. "That's so weird. When you said oil vat, that just reminded me, I had this dream last night we were swimming in a pool, only it wasn't water, it was like oil or honey or something," Rory told them.

"Hey."

"What?"

"You totally just did the thing," Cassie told her as she sat down at the table with the pop tart in her hand. Lorelai nodded, agreeing with Cassie but Rory just looked confused.

"What thing?"

"The thing where one person is describing their dream and it reminds the other person about their dream, and suddenly it's all about their dream and the first person is just standing there like, um, hey man, what about my dream," Lorelai explained to her.

"I'm sorry, the oil vat guy was being mean," Rory said, prompting Lorelai to continue as she sat down at the table.

"Yes, and we knew him. He used to live in town," Lorelai continued as her daughters listened. "He was the guy who used to run the auto body shop before Maven Hughes bought it. Remember him?"

"No."

"Not a clue."

"Yes, you do," Lorelai told them. "He's really skinny."

"Peter Stringbean?" Rory laughed.

"No. That was the tall circus freaky guy who worked for him. This was the owner guy," Lorelai told them, as if that would spark a memory. "What's his name?"

"I don't know."

"Yes, you do," Lorelai whineed.

"We don't know what we don't know Mom," Cassie told her.

"It's gonna bug me all day. He was short and fat and his name was..."

"Johnny McShort-and-Fat," Rory answered with a smile.