30: eternal flame

"It doesn't change anything."

--☆--☆--☆--

Cassie didn't know why she was so nervous. She was currently standing outside of her boyfriend's house, about to go inside for the first time. There really wasn't any reason to be nervous, Cassie knew this. It was just a house. But... for some reason it felt like something more.

She knocked on the door, only having to wait about twenty seconds before Josh opened the door. He smiled at her and Cassie felt some of her nerves melt away.

"Hey gorgeous," Josh greeted and butterflies filled Cassie's stomach.

"You have to stop calling me that," Cassie said before walking into Josh's house. She looked around and had to force her jaw to not fall to the floor. "Oh my god."

"What?" Josh looked at her in confusion as he closed the front door.

Cassie turned around to look at him and he smiled seeing her impressed expression. "I mean I kinda figured you were rich but... shit," she laughed and now Josh's eyes were wide. Cassie wasn't one to swear a lot, so when she did, it turned heads.

"You don't like it?" Josh asked, following behind her as she gave herself the tour of his house.

"Are you kidding?" She laughed as she walked into the kitchen. "My entire house could fit on the first floor. How many floors are there?" She asked then Josh held up the number three. "Now you're kidding."

"One up, one down," Josh informed her.

"Huh," Cassie nodded her head before walking further out of the kitchen and heading into the living room. "Is this you?" She asked, picking up a picture of a young boy in a lacrosse jersey. 

"Yeah," Josh laughed nervously.

"You don't like me looking around do you?" Cassie observed while she continued to walk through the house.

"It just reminds me that I've barely been in your house," Josh admitted and he was right. He's been outside her house and in her doorway, that's it.

"Well we should fix that then," Cassie told him a smile present on her face.

Josh nodded, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "Yeah, I'd like that."

"Wow," Cassie stopped, looking at a picture of a woman that was obviously Josh's mom. They had the same eyes and smile, it was crazy. "She's beautiful."

"Mhm, she was," Josh agreed.

"You have her smile," Cassie told him.

"Really. Never noticed," Josh shrugged, looking at the picture of his mom. Josh's mom only died a little over a year ago, but after she was gone his entire life changed. A once happy family was now broken. Josh and his dad hardly spoke and when they did they were arguing. They never talked about his mom.