35: colonel clucker

"I am not going to wallow."

--☆--☆--☆--

The Gilmores pulled out of a hug, the mood hanging low now that Rory has made her announcement. Cassie stood close by her twin, the happy mood she was in a minute ago had completely faded.

"Tell me what happened," Lorelai said, looking at her heartbroken daughter.

"We broke up, we just broke up," Rory answered, brushing off her question.

"But I don't understand," Lorelai admitted.

"We- we went to dinner and then we walked by the bonfire but it wasn't lit, so we went to this junkyard and we sat in this car and then- oh God!"

"What?" Lorelai asked, putting her hands on Rory's arms, worried about what she was about to say.

"I forgot your meatball in the car."

"Oh honey, forget it."

"Oh I can't believe I left your meatball in the car," Rory said, sounding more upset about the meatball than about the breakup.

"Ok, ok, come on," Lorelai walked her into the living room, her and Rory sitting on the couch while Cassie sat in the chair in front of them.

"After I told the waiter to wrap it up and everything. And everyone was like 'what do you want with one meatball?' and I was like 'It's a mother/daughter thing.'" Rory ranted, still leaving out any mention of Dean. "And I'm he thought I was nuts but he was so nice and he did it anyway and he uh, brought out one of those tin foil swans or duck or some kind of bird and- and then I left it in the car."

"Rory forget about the meatball," Cassie told her sister, all she wanted to know was if she was going to have kill Dean sometime before morning.

"Just tell us what happened," Lorelai added, using a slightly softer tone.

"He just broke up with me, okay?"

"That doesn't make sense," Lorelai told her. "This is Dean we're talking about. He's crazy about you."

"He calls like thirty times a day," Cassie added.

"Have you seen the cover of his notebook? It's one step away from stalker material."

"I have to go to bed," Rory announced as she stood up and walked towards her room.

"Well, wait. Take me through the night step by step," Lorelai requested as she and Cassie followed Rory into her room.