19: computer auctions

"You want me to say it again

"You want me to say it again."

--☆--☆--☆--

Ever since freshman year Tristan Dugray and Joshua Dawson have had the run of Chilton. To the eyes of their peers, they could do no wrong. Their teachers liked them, the headmaster pretended to respect them, and everyone wanted to be friends with them. No one really knew how they acquired this power, it was just something that came with being part of Chilton's elite class.

The two boys had been friends for a long, long time. But naturally, like any friendship, there were things that they disagreed on. For example, Tristan was happy floating from girl to girl at any given moment. And yes, Josh enjoyed that for a period of time, but not anymore. Over the summer the boy changed, he didn't want a little black book with different girl's numbers.

But all the girls at Chilton thought of Josh as a player. An alter ego that lasted for a couple months has now become his brand. It didn't bother him at first, especially since there weren't any girls at the school he needed to convince that he changed. Until he saw her.

Cassidy Gilmore was different from the other girls at Chilton. She didn't care about trust funds or coming out parties, she didn't try to act like she was better than everyone else at the school. She didn't drown her failings in alcohol or boys, at least not that Josh was aware of.

He was looking at her from across the lunch hall. One of the guys in his friend group, Adam Olsen, was rambling on about something that Josh couldn't bother to focus on. His eyes were glued to Cassie. She was sitting at a table with Rory and Sophie, like she had been for the last week.

Rory was pretending to listen to something Sophie was talking about while she was really reading her book. Cassie was actually listening while she ate some of the greasy pizza they were serving for lunch that day.

Josh smiled when he saw Cassie laughing at something Sophie told her. He just loved the way her eyes lit up whenever she smiled. Ever since the two of them started studying together he couldn't stop thinking about her. He wanted her, so badly that it freaked him out. He just sat there watching her laugh then without meaning to he let out a small laugh, making the guys at his table very confused.

The Dawson boy pretended to clear his throat as he looked down at his sandwich. Unfortunately he wouldn't be winning an Oscar soon since just about everyone at the table could tell he was nervous about something.

"What's up with Dawson?" One of the guys at the table asked, earning a few laughs.

"Just thinkin'," Josh told them, but none of them believed him.

"You've been acting weird for weeks bro," Someone else commented. "All fluttery and shit."

"Fluttery?" Josh questioned with raised eyebrows but everyone seemed to be in agreement. Joshua Dawson had been acting fluttery. "You think I've been acting fluttery?" Josh asked, looking over at Tristan.