46

Anna's POV
"4 by 2 girls! On the track. Step off the track if you are on it thank you." The announcement said and I watched Hazel run down.

She was the last leg of the 4 by 2. She did a 4 by 1 at the beginning of the meet. Eva sat beside me as I watched her get ready.

She looked at me and I smiled waving. She smiled and a few seconds later the gun went off.

Hazel started to run when the third leg alsnog got to the corner. When the baton was passed Hazel had sprinted down to the finish line with a line of people behind her.

She had ran faster than I thought and she made it all the way to the end with a winning first.

"She's really fast." Eva mumbled and I nodded.

I saw as Hazel ran up the bleachers hugging me.

"First place." She whispered and I smiled.

"Amazing like always."

"Can I get my subway sandwich?" She asked and I nodded giving it to her.

She sat with me laying her head on me while eating. She only ate the first half and the other half was saved for the afternoon.

"I still have a 400 and a 200 along with a 4 by 4 at the very end of the meet." She said and I nodded.

"Are you really gonna stay?" She asked me and I nodded again.

"Okay!" She said as I smiled.

She went back down to hang out with Blake and her friends.

"Anna do you think this could workout?" Eva whispered above me.

"I don't know social media doesn't like it." I said as I saw Hazel.

The Jersey on her showed off her back which was surprisingly really attractive. She must be lifting weights during her strength and conditioning.

Her hair was split down the middle braided on the sides. She looked really pretty when the sun glared on her.

I just admired her until a gun blow pulled me out of it. I leaned against Eva who was watching the races.

I went down and grabbed something from the concession when I walked into a kid who saw me.

"Your Anna shumate?" She asked me an I nodded.

"Can I get a picture with you?" She asked me and I couldn't let her down.

I crouched down and the mother took a picture of us. I smiled and waved goodbye before getting my Dr. Pepper and going away.

I scrolled through tiktok as I saw a video of someone talking about me and Hazel.

The bottom captioned as 'Facts about Hazel Alvarez' I watched through it and it had shown a article back in 2009 and it was a car flipped over.

The year this book takes place in the beginning was 2023 now it is 2024 I hope you understand that.

The article told me that it was written.

'4 members and one survived. Hazel Alvarez a 3 year old girl found after being in a hit and run accident.'

The girl looked like Hazel. she had those Hazel eyes and the same brown hair.

This was an invasion of privacy! He started to talk about Hazel's backstory.

"How the fuck did you get that information." I muttered angrily.

I immediately told the creator to take the video down due to invasion of privacy information.

I was angry and was not in the mood to be talked about. If Hazel found that video she would be so crush and it was stupid to find invasion of privacy.

The video already had millions of people seen it and I was super pissed but I didn't let it ruin my way of letting Hazel come by saying hi every now and then.

I watched her do the 400 race and than the 200. It was getting really dark and they were only on the 300 meter hurdle run.

Hazel was asleep with her head on my lap waiting for her 400. Emma and Dev was able to make it in time for her 200 and is gonna stay for the 4 by 4.

I played with Hazel's hair checking the social media as I found the word about Hazel's backstory was spread.

People were so nosy about her that they went to deep research and found pictures. I frowned and was actually thinking about deleting everything.

"I'm so sorry hazy." I whispered.

Hazel was born in Utah at first where the car crash was. And then she was moved to Nevada which was close to California.

After moving foster homes 7 times in Nevada she was moved to Cali but she wasn't any nearby La she was at the top of Cali. That's when she was sleeping on a subway moving all the way to Los Angles.

I felt so bad she was moving so much. She had also been through so much. I carefully leaned back so she could continue sleeping.

There was a mile run after the hurdles and than it was the 4 by 4. And Hazel was absolutely exhausted and I'm surprised she's still going to do the 400.

After hearing the call out I woke Hazel up. She quickly out her spikes on and hugged me. She went back down to the field signing in and saw her at the start line.

She was again the 4th leg. We watched as all the people ran and ran the 400 meter run and when it came to Hazel she sprinted the first 100 and then got into her stride running down the 200 and coming up again sprinting as hard as she could reaching the finish line.

I realized her shoes got untied while running and at the end she tripped over the finish line.

I rushed down as I got a place where I could call her name. She was laying on the ground surrounded with people.

I shoved them out the way and made my way to her. She was barely conscious and I would get that. Running a 409 after having to run multiple events would end someone's energy.

I helped her up as her eyebrow had a scratch and her entire leg was scratched up.

She was bleeding down her head as I put her on the bench. I grabbed her bag and grabbed the medical stuff she packed.