Ch. 18

The Lost Dixon

The Lost Dixon

Season 4

Ch. 18: Haunting Memories

Reece's Point of View:
I wake up to a sudden bang. I stare up at the ceiling, letting out a sigh. Different day, same shit. It was about that time I'd wake up. I pull myself out bed and look around. It's been a couple months since since the Governor disappeared. And 20 days since I took off to go find him. I've been traveling all on my own by horse, trying to find him. There's just no trace of him. He just disappeared. Gone, without a single trace to find him.

Rick didn't exactly wanted me to leave on my own. He wanted Daryl to come with, but I didn't want anybody coming with me. I warned Rick that if Daryl was coming the day I was leaving, I would leave earlier than I said. That day came and Daryl stayed behind, thankfully. He tried talking to me, tried getting me to tell him what happened with me, why I ran off the way I did that day. Nobody knows, and I hope it stays that way.

I stepped out of the old, abandoned house and find the horse remaining tied up to the post. I gave him a pet before loading up my bags and climbing onto the saddle. I was only a few hours away from the prison. So, I should be there by noon as long as I don't run into any problems.

Once i was just a couple feet from the prison, I whistled out to them. In the distance, I can see Rick and Carl running to the gate. We've upgraded with the prison; turned the field into crops, created a dining area in the basketball court, along with planting more crops around there. We found pigs and horses. We breed them so we can eat, but Daryl and I still go hunting.

The front fence was destroyed when the Governor first came to the prison. It was left wide open since then. But, we had some engineering done and used two large steel doors and placed them as our new fence. With the pull of a rope, the doors swing open. We use cut down trees to turn them into spikes to keep the doors opened from walkers. If any are near, the doors will open up and push any walkers into the spikes.

I ride the horse right through the doors and I slowed him down near the field. I gave him a stroke by his neck, praising him for keeping his cool around the walkers. I swung my leg over the saddle and jumped down. Carl and Rick came jogging after me, greeting me with smiles.

"Glad to see you." Rick says.

"Glad to see you, too." I smile at him. I turn to Carl who held onto the horses lead. "Somebody hit the jackpot." I smirk, pulling out a stack of comic books from my bag. Carl's face lights up.

"No way. Awesome! Thank you." He smiles.

"I get to read 'em when you're done." I tap his elbow. Carl and I have grown closer over the past few months. We share just about everything together; snacks, books, jokes, everything. He's one of my favorite people on this earth. I turn to Rick.

"And I found this." I held up a plug in razor. He takes the razor from my hand and stares at it. "Your face is losin the war." He lets out a chuckle and playfully slaps my arm.