Ch. 87

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 87- The Land Between the Broken Interstates

Reece's Point of View:

We walked and walked til dawn broke through. We cleared out of the woods and I grew more suspicious of where Alpha was taking me.

"Where you taking me?" I demanded. We walk up some large boulders and stopped at the edge of a cliff. We stood over miles and miles of land, seeing hundreds and possibly thousands of walkers. 

"Do you know why I brought you, instead of the one who is fighting to keep my daughter?" Alpha asks. I turn my head and look at her. "I saw your reaction. The night we first encountered with you people. We killed somebody you must've loved. I know you'll understand, and won't take offense to me when I say that I did you  favor." 

"What goddamn favor did you give me?" I growl. Alpha slowly leans her head back.

"People make you weak. Love, friends. They make you weak." She says. "You think I care about my people? Being in this world, it's all survival of the fittest. They hunt their own food, get their own supplies. Me? I provide protection. They do what I say, they're protected." I glance over to the army of walkers. "My people are among them, steering them. The only reason you and your friends are alive is because I let you live."

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Nothing." She answers. I shake my head.

"Everybody always wants something." I say.

"You don't got a single thing to offer me." She says. "I've seen how you live. I've walked your streets. It's a joke. Your communities are a shrine to a long-dead world. My people, the Whisperers- we live as nature intended."

"That's just all the bullshit you feed your sheep so they'll follow you." I growl.

"They follow me 'cause I'm the alpha." She says.

"Hm." I nodded.

"And if the alpha doesn't assert herself, then there's chaos." She says. "So that's what I've done." Curiosity grows over me and I held a stare with Alpha.

"What'd you do?" I ask her.

"Your friends back at the camp are fine." She answers. "Tell them the next time they cross into my land, my horde will cross into theirs. The land between the broken interstates and the river to the south is mine. I've marked the border to the north. You'll see it as you leave."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I frown at her.

"You'll see it as you leave." She repeats. "Go. Your friends will be waiting for you in a field due north." I look down and stepped to Alpha. We are both short women, we looked eye to eye level.

"Did you kill Lydia?" I ask her. Her eyes fall for a moment before she slowly looks me in the eyes again.

"I don't think you can protect my daughter." She says. "But I hope I'm wrong." I nodded my head.

"You are." I say. I turn away from Alpha and walk off. I wonder down the path we took and came to the field Alpha had mentioned. I could see Michonne, Carol, Yumiko and Daryl waiting for me. Daryl turns around and sees me. He jogs his way over to me and embraces me in a tight hug. I look down and see him holding my bow. I take it from his hand and reunite with the others. Michonne and Carol hug me together and we begin walking away.

I guided everyone through the woods, leading us towards the way Alpha had mentioned. For a long while it was silent between us. but I stopped when I hear muffled yells. I turn my head and see Siddiq tied to a tree and a clothe covering his mouth.