Ch. 84

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 84- Choke Point

Daryl's Point of View:

It was morning by the time we made it out of the woods. We entered a small town, seeing a large building wit up to 8 stories high. I look around, making sure I didn't catch any sign of the dead or the Whisperers. I see a hand waving in my view and I turn to Connie. She counts us all and motions for us to get to higher ground.

"Take the high ground?" I ask, nodding my head. "Yeah." I turn back to Connie, hearing the pen scratching on the notepad. She turns it around and shows it to me. 

Choke point

"Good idea. Come on." I say. We all march our way through the road.

"I don't understand." Henry states. 

"They use walkers to protect themselves, right?" I say. "So we go up someplace where walkers can't go. We separate the living from the dead. They travel in a herd, but there's only like five or six of them in the middle, right?" Lydia nods.

"Yeah, but if we go up there, we're trapped." She says. We slow our pace and stopped. "Alpha's not gonna send an army 'cause she doesn't have to. She'll send Beta." I shake my head and look away.

"I'm sick of running." I say. "This Beta- he their best?" I ask. Lydia nods. "Good. We'll kill him first. Come on." I turn away from Lydia and continued walking. I guide everyone to the building and we began making our way inside. I kept my crossbow pointed and my flashlight up to make sure no walkers were around. 

Everyone headed up to the higher ground. I wandered off on my own to scope around. I opened up a door and point around. I couldn't find anything but a staircase with a bunch of junk blocking the way up. Somebody must've barricade this area for a reason.

I return back to our little choke point and found Connie kneeling on the floor, rummaging through a storage case in the floor, a floorboard pushed off the large rectangle in the ground. In that storage box, a bunch of dusted supplies remained, waiting for anybody to discover it.

"That stairwell's already barricaded." I announce to anyone. "I guess you know that." I say. Connie stands up and hands me a water bottle. As I untwist the cap and took a few drinks, Connie pulls out her notepad and begins writing away on it. She flips it around and holds it up for me to read.

We stayed here once

"Yeah. A secret stash for emergency?" I nodded. "Smart." Connie smiles and nods. She motions her head for me to follow her and she turns away. I follow her through the unfinished floor and we approached a door. There's a a sheet of paper pinned to the wall. I lean on the wall and look closer to the paper. It's a blueprint.

"Alright." I sigh out. "There's only two ways up- that's good. I think these barricades are a little too barricaded. So, we'll cut open hole so that they can walk up here." Connie nods and holds a thumbs up in response. "Thanks." I lightly tap her shoulder. "This place is good. This might work." Connie clicks her pen and scribbles on her notepad again. She flips the notepad around and holds it up. 

"Alright, 'then what'?" I read. "Then we go." I point. Connie doesn't react with her face. She pulls her notepad back and begins scribbling again before revealing it to me. 

The girl stays She points. I look down and shake my head.

"No." I answer. "No." Connie pulls back again, writing two lines on the paper a little prominent. She flips it around and shows the word stays underlined twice. I swallow hard, shaking my head.