Ch. 53

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 53- Last Day on Earth

Reece's Point of View:

I declared that we bring the RV over to Maggie's house just incase we needed to take her to Hilltop to Dr. Harlan. If anything, he'd know what is wrong with Maggie and what to with her. My worse fear was that her uterus detached from the placenta and her baby isn't getting the oxygen it needs to survive. 

I loaded my bow onto the RV and planted myself in the drivers seat. I turned on the engine and looked at everything I needed to make sure it was good to run. Everything checks out. I shut the engine off as I see Rick stepping out of Maggie's house with a gas canister in his hands. I climbed out of the seat and stepped out of the RV.

"Any change?" Sasha asks.

"She's getting worse." Rick informs.

"Good call on the transport." Abraham says to me.

"Well, I figured she'd be more comfortable." I say. 

"It also means you got room for more." Abraham says. "They're out there, so I'm gonna be there with you." He turns to Sasha. "We are." He smiles. "Package deal." I lightly smiled and nodded my head. I knew that Abraham was a bit of an ass for what he did to Rosita, but that doesn't make him a bad man. Abraham and Sasha load up on the RV. I turn my eyes and see Eugene standing behind them.

"Uh, what he said." He says and goes to load up on the RV, but Rick stops him.

"Look, it's a long trip, and you're just getting over-"

"It's a superficial graze, proteins are binding, plus we need to discuss ammunition production and manufacture, so lets roll." We turn our heads to approaching footsteps.

"I already tried. Give him an inch, he's taking a mile." Abraham says.

"I'm only asking for 23, give or take, depending on the route." Eugene says. "I know I can be of some help. Now's the time and here's the place. Don't shine me. I'll be your anchorman. Yes, I damn will." Without another word, Eugene loads up on the RV. Rick and I lock eyes before simply shrugging and allowing Eugene to tag along.

"You worried?" I turn my head and look at Rick.

"About Daryl?" I ask. He nods. "I mean, he's smart, brave, he's good on his own and I know he'll come back. But...when he's angry, smart, brave and alone...it's just a little worrying. He turns that smartness into stupid. I know why he's out there. It's for Denise." 

"And you." Rick lightly frowns. "Dwight said it himself, he was aiming for you."

"And I count my stars for that." I nodded. "Denise, I get it. But me? I'm not dead. He shouldn't be out there because of me. He...He shouldn't be out there at all. But who's gonna stop him? Not Glenn. Not Michonne. Rosita, Abraham, you, me. He's not gonna stop until Dwight's heart stops beating." Rick nods his head. I swallow hard. "I don't want him out there. But I know he's not gonna stop. Even if it kills him. Even if it means leaving me behind." I let out a sigh and step up onto the RV. 

We load Maggie up on the RV and began our journey to the Hilltop. The ride so far is quiet, calm. We're all relaxing and waiting around as we get to Hilltop. There isn't anything we can do really.

"What the bitch?" I turn my head to Abraham, hearing the brakes of the RV squealing. I pull myself up and walk over to Sasha's seat, holding onto it as I look out the windshield. There's a line of men blocking our path. Rick approaches my side and he takes a look himself. His eyes squint in suspicion.

"Are we doing this?" I ask him.

"No." He says. Abraham puts the RV in park and Rick steps out. As I step out of the RV, grab my bow, holding it tight in my hand. Abraham, Sasha, Rick and I walk in front of the RV, lining up.