Chapter 33

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 33- Fire With Fire

Reece's Point of View:

I leaned against the wall of the train car, waiting patiently, yet eagerly for Rick, Daryl and Glenn's arrival. I flipped and tossed and spun the mini dagger around in my hands. I glance my eyes around, seeing everyone else hard at work to get themselves ready for the fight.

"What's the cure, Eugene?" Sasha asks. I turn my eyes to her, seeing her staring hard at Eugene as he continued to work by compromising the door to let us out. I wasn't very confident in him that he could. He might be some really smart guy, but...I don't know about him.

"It's classified." Eugene responds. I wasn't sure if I were even surprised at him. I mean, who are we going to tell? The world ended, is there even a cure for this? Is there a possible way for the walkers to turn back to human beings? Or is there a simple shot we take and when we die, we stay dead? My guesses went on and on as I thought of any possible way for there to be a cure to all this.

"We don't know what's gonna happen." Maggie says.

"You leave him be." Abraham defends.

"We need to keep working." Maggie says.

"Yeah, but its time to hear it." Sasha lightly argues. "'Cause we don't know what's coming next."

"What's next isle get out of this." I speak up.

"Even if I told you all, even if I provided step-by-step instructions complete with illustrations and a well-composed FAQ and I went red-ring, the cure would still die with me." Eugene says.

"I'm not gonna let that happen." Abraham says. Eugene turns his head and looks over his shoulder at the man who had promised him.

"The best-case scenario, we step out into a hellsotrm of bullets, fire and walkers. I'm not fleet of foot. I sure as hell can't take a dead one down with sharp buttons and he'll confidence. "

"Yeah, but can and we will." Sasha says. She pulls herself to her full height, standing over Eugene. "You don't owe us anything. Not yet. But we just want to hear it."

"You don't have to." Rosita says. Eugene exhaled sharply, he pulls himself to his full height and looks at everyone.

"I was part of a 10-person team at the Human Genome Project to weaponize diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made, information shared. I am keenly aware of all the details behind fail-safe delivery systems to kill every living person on this planet. I believe with a little tweaking on the terminals in DC, we can flip the script. Take out every last dead one of them. Fire with fire. All the things being equal, it does sound pretty badass."

The train car is silent as everyone held a stare with Eugene. I guess all trying to process what the hell he even just said. I don't even know what he just said. I don't even know if half the shit he just said was even accurate. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. The only pet I understood, was something about reversing the virus and taking out every last dead one. I guess whatever even started this madness, Eugene can flip this? Whatever the reason being, I guess I'll leave all of that to Eugene to handle.

"So let's get back to work." Maggie says. I let out a snort, shaking my head.

Two loud bangs fill our ears and everyone perks up to the door. The door slides open and reveals Rick, along with a swarm of walkers right behind him.

"Come on! Fight to the fence!" He shouts. Everyone scatters to the door and begins fighting their way out of the train car. I jumped down the stairs, pushing and stabbing every walker I had crossed path's with. I turn to my right, seeing everyone fleeing to the fence. Abraham and Daryl toss a rug over the barbed wire and assisting everyone over it.