Chapter 32

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 32- A

Reece's Point of View:

Alex approaches a door and pushes it open. We step outside to the back of Terminus. 

"So how long's this place been here?" Daryl asks. Alex turns back and smiles.

"Since almost the start." He says. "When all the camps got overrun, people started finding this place. I think it was instinct, you know? Follow the path. Some folks were heading to the coast, others out west or up north, but they all wound up here." I turn my head and looked around. Plant pots covered in green, little huts filled with more plants and vegetables, some people running the huts and all. The people around the little courtyard turn their attention to us, staring at us. The sudden feeling of awkwardness fills my chest. I inhaled deeply, pulling my eyes down to the ground. 

"Hi." A woman with strawberry hair smiles at all of us, working away at the grill. "Heard you came in the back. Smart." She says. I guess word travels fast around here. "You'll fit right in here." She flips over a large chunk of meat on the grill. I frown at that. How did they manage to scrape up so much meat? I don't see horses, pigs or cows around here. 

"Hey, Mary, would you fix each of these new folks a plate for me?" Alex asks. I turn my eyes and look around me, frowning as I noticed a familiar backpack. It wasn't just any backpack. It was an orange bag Glenn uses every now and then on runs.

"Why do you do it?" Carl asks. "Why do you let people in?" 

"The more people become a part of us, we get stronger." Alex smiles. "That's why we put up the signs, invite people in." I turn my head and look at Rick. His eyes were already focused on his surroundings. I turn my eyes and noticed one of the Terminus people wearing the familiar riot gear. That didn't just come off of a dead cop. I turn my eyes to Rick. He drops his head and slowly turns to me, his eyes growing dark and angry. I watched as he approaches Alex and slaps the plate out of his hand, grabbing him by the neck and holding his gun to his head. He held Glenn's pocket watch in his hand. Everyone becomes alert, turning their attention to us and becoming hostile. 

Daryl, Carl and I all raised our weapons, pointing them in all directions to threaten everybody around us. 

"Where the hell did you get this watch?" Rick questions Alex. Alex slowly releases Rick's arm, holding them as if surrendering to him. 

"You want answers? You want anything else?" Alex questions, his voice obviously shaken from the threat touching his temple. "You get 'em when you put down the gun."

"I see your man on the roof with the sniper rifle." Rick says. "How good's his aim? Where'd you get the watch?" He waits a moment for Alex to answer. Instead, Alex held his hands up, breathing heavily. "Where'd you get the watch?!" Rick demands.

"Don't do anything!" Alex shouts. "I have this! You just put it down. You put it down!" The sniper up on the roof lowers his weapon. "You wanna listen to me. There's a lot of us."

"Where did you get the watch?" Rick growls.

"I got it off a dead one." Alex finally answers. But I knew he was calling bullshit on it. "I didn't think he'd need it." Rick forces Alex to turn.

"What about the riot gear? The poncho?" He demands.

"Got the riot gear off a dead cop." Gareth's voice fills our ears. Rick turns his body to him, keeping his gun pointed on Alex's head. I knew Gareth would've called the cop excuse on the riot gear.

"Found the poncho on a clothesline." He adds.

"Gareth, we can wait." Alex says.

"Shut up, Alex." Gareth demands.