Ch. 41

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 41- Operation: Draw The Walkers From Home

Reece's Point of View:

I've never given much thought of how I would die. Before this world, if you asked me then, I still wouldn't know. Part of me always believed that I'd die by my abusive husband. Maybe he'd tell some story, stating how I died to cover his own ass. Maybe people would believe him, find it depressing. I'd never tell my side of the story and he'd walk a free man for the rest of his life. Or maybe the police would do a more thorough investigation and find him guilty on all counts. Maybe. Who knows. But if you were to ask me how I'd die today, in this world, I'd tell you maybe by the freaks. Maybe by people who'd tried taking the place I call home for themselves. Maybe I grow old and die in my warm bed with my friends and family by my bedside. Wrong. I'd tell you, that I would still die by my ex husband. 

"I know this sounds insane, but this is an insane world. We have to come for them before they come for us. It's that simple." The snarls of the walkers fills the silence. Rick turns his head, looking at the big mining field behind him. Walkers filled every square inch of this place. Trucks and vehicles scattered around the area. A semi-truck up on the path blocked the walkers from leaving the hole. But Rick knew if that truck moved, if it falls from the walkers pushing against it, they would come right for us. The plan? Lead them away from home as quick and as safely as possible.

"This is where it all starts tomorrow." Rick says. "Tobin gets in the truck, opens the exit and we're off. He hops out, catches up with his team at red staying on the west side of the road. Daryl gets on his bike-" A loud rumble fills our ears and Rick pauses. We all turn to the semi-truck in the distance, seeing the front of it sliding off the edge of the cliff. The rocks underneath it crumbles and falls apart, giving way of the truck. Seconds later, the truck falls off the cliff with a loud shriek from the metal. All the walkers below turn to the noise and immediately follow it. The walkers at the front of the parade began walking down the path. That's not part of the plan.

"It's open! We gotta do this now!" Rick shouts. "We're doin this now! Tobin's group, get moving, go!"

"No, Rick, we're not ready." Carter argues.

"Sasha! Abraham!" Rick calls.

"Damn straight, we're do it live." Abraham nods. I turn my head to Daryl. He rushes over to me, grabbing my arm and pulling me close.

"You keep your head up. You do what you gotta do and you make it back home. Understand?" He questions.

"I'll see you there." I reassure him. "Daryl, be safe." 

"Yeah, you too." He nods. We part ways. I pull my bow off my back, rushing off over to my group.

"Reece! Reece!" I hear. I turn my head and find Peter and his friend quickly approaching me. "Let us help you. We can help." He says. 

"Hell no." I growl. 

"You need more people!" He argues. 

"I can manage without you." I argue. 

"The more, the better." He says. "You know that. Rick would agree."

"No, he wouldn't. Not with you." I deny. 

"I'm here!" He shouts. I stomp my foot down, shaking my head. 

"You do everything I say!" I growl. 

"Okay." He nods. 

"Cover us. We're gonna take out the ones that slip through those trucks. Be ready! Watch each other's backs! Let's move! Go!" I shout. I turn away and guide the group off from the trucks.