Ch. 31

The Lost Dixon

Chapter 31: We're Monsters In Someway

Reece's Point of View:
I sat in the back seat. Carl rests his head in my lap as I held him. Daryl opens up the passenger side door, lifting my chin up.

"You okay?" He asks me softly.

"I'm okay." I nod at him. He examines my face.

"Don't look like you need stitches. Just a good scratch looks like." He says. "Eye's a little bruised. Can ya see?" He asks.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Okay." He says. "I'm glad you're okay, Reece." He says, leaning down and kissing the top of my head. I smile at his words.

"I missed you." I say. He huffs out a smile.

"I missed you." He says. "Imma check on ya in a little bit. Get some rest." He says softly. He shuts the door and walks over to the fire that once burned. He picks up a water bottle and pulls out the red rag he's always carrying with him. He soaks the rag in the water and approaches Rick, who leaned against the truck just below me.

"We should save it to drink." Rick waves Daryl.

"You can't see yourself, he can." Daryl reminds Rick. I guess, we're all a little stunned at what Rick did last night. Biting somebody's throat out the way he did. But it's not like we can judge him for it. Rick will do anything to keep his son alive. Rick accepts the wet rag and begins wiping Joe's blood off his face.

"I didn't know what they were." Daryl starts.

"How'd you wind up with 'em?" Rick asks.

"I was with Beth." Daryl says. "We got out together. I was with her for a while."

"Is she dead?" Rick asks.

"She's just gone." Daryl shrugs. "After that, that's when they found me. I mean, I knew they were bad but they had a code. It was simple. Stupid, but it was somethin. It was enough."

"And you were alone." Rick says. "

"Said they were lookin for some guy." Daryl adds. "Last night they said they spotted him. I was hangin back. I was gonna leave. But I stayed. That's when I saw it was you three. Right when you saw me. I didn't know what they could do."

"It's not on you, Daryl." Rick says. "Hey. It's not on you. You bein back with us here, now, that's everything. You're my brother."

"Hey, what you did last night...anybody woulda done that." Daryl says.

"No, not that." Rick says.

"Somethin happened. That ain't you." Daryl says.

"Daryl, you saw what I did to Tyreese." Rick reminds him. "It ain't all of it, but that's me. That's why I'm here now. That's why Carl is. I wanna keep him safe. That's all that matters." I look down and see Carl's eyes opened. I knew if i could hear Rick talking, so could Carl. I guess Carl didn't mind seeing Rick do what he did last night. I'm hoping Carl understands and knows Rick has his reasonings.

*****
After a while longer of resting, we packed our bags and moved on from the truck. We hopped back onto the tracks and followed it. Daryl said when he was with Joe, he remembers seeing the same sign we saw.

Rick lead the train, I trailed a little behind him, Daryl and Carl behind me. I haven't exactly talked much with Rick ever since last night. I felt that I needed to check on him. Rick and I have some type of...connection. We understand each other greatly and always feel that we can always talk to one another.