Ch. 65

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 65- Know Thy Enemy

Reece's Point of View:

I stared up at the ceiling, breathing in and out slowly. It was something that I felt like was the only thing that I could do, focus on my breathing. Every now and then, I'd hear Chooli praying and singing again. I never understood what she said, mostly because she muttered, but because she said it in her language. Once she finished, I roll onto my stomach and look at her. 

"What do you pray about?" I ask her. Chooli tilts her head and looks at me. 

"That someday your people will find you, and bring you back home." She says. I furrow my brows at her. 

"That we will make it back home." I correct her. 

"I am old. I would only slow you down." She shakes her head. 

"Well, that's okay." I say. "They'll have vehicles. We wouldn't be walking back home. And besides, you'll be welcomed by my people. I'm not leaving here without you." I show her a small smile. Chooli inhales deeply. 

"Come here." She utters. I crawl my way over to Chooli and sat beside her. Part of me though the chain wouldn't have let me make it by her side, but it did. Chooli grabs my hand and holds it tight. 

"I wanna tell you something my parents used to tell me something. 'Know thy enemy'." She says. I furrow my brows. 

"What does that mean?" I ask her. 

"Sun Tzu quoted it. 'Know thy enemy,' means if you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." 

"We're fighting against the Saviors, Chooli. We will win. We are winning." I nodded. Chooli nods. 

"But in the end, you will suffer defeat." She explains. I shake my head. 

"I mean, sure, we might lose people, if that's what you mean by defeat." I say. Chooli smiles and nods her head. She lifts her hand up and pulls out the red feather. Her eyes turn to me and she lifts her hand up, placing the feather in my hair. 

"Oh, Chooli, no." I deny. "I can't take this. Your people gave this to you." I frown. 

"And now I am giving it to you." She smiles. "You are honorable. You are wise, fearless. You honor your people, you believe in your people. They will come. And they will save you." 

"Us." I correct her. "They're gonna save us. We just have to wait a little longer, okay?" Chooli shows me a smiles and nods. 

"Okay." She says. "But you will take the feather of honor." She says. I let out a sigh and tried to find myself to relax. I then thought of something. I pull my feet before me and shove my fingers down my shoes. There, I felt the small dagger hiding in my boot. 

"Holy shit." I utter. I turn to Chooli. "I think I can get us out of here." I smile. I pull the ankle with the bond and began picking at the lock. It took me about twenty minutes before the bond broke off my ankle. I pull myself up and moved over to the door. I grab the handle and try turning it. I pull it back, but the door doesn't open. It's locked. I let out a defeated sigh, turning back to the room and looking around. I noticed that there were wooden boards on the walls. 

"Windows." I utter. I walk over to a wooden board and grabbed a corner. I pull on it hard and the corner of the board snaps. It breaks off and reveals part of the window. I turn back to Chooli, smiling with excitement.