Ch. 56

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 56- Blame It On Me

Reece's Point of View:

I let out a sigh as Sasha drove the pickup truck right up Hilltop's dirt path. The truck was only two doors and a two-seater. I sat in the bed of the truck, sitting between Abraham and Glenn's bodies. I slowly shut my eyes, shaking my head. I already miss home. I wanna know what's happening right now. I get that Rick wants me to be safe and everything, but I can't be here. I have to get Daryl back. We have to.

Sasha stops the truck and opens the door. 

"Who's there?" We hear Cal shout down to us. 

"It's Sasha, Maggie and Reece." Sasha informs. "We're from Alexandria. We need Dr. Harlan right away. It's Maggie and Reece they're-they;re hurt." Cal nods his head and opens the gate for us. Sasha gets back in the truck and drives inside to Hilltop. 

As we pulled up beside the medical trailer, Dr. Harlan comes out and rushes over to the passenger side to Maggie's aid. Sasha ran off inside with her as Harlan and her carry Maggie's unconscious body inside. 

"Reece." I pick up my head and find Paul standing on the side of the bed, looking at me. I knew he could tell how red and puffy my eyes were. He knew how much I'd been crying lately. He looks down in the bed and finds the bodies lying face down. 

"Jesus. What's going on?" Gregory approaches us. 

"Come on. Let's go get you cleaned up." Paul holds his hands out to me. I swallow hard and I shake my head.

"I, uh, I'm shot. In my left shoulder." I lightly explain. 

"OKay." Paul nods. "We'll get you the proper help." He says. "Just...come on. Get out of there and I'll handle them." I glance down at Glenn and Abraham, pressing the palms of my hands on their backs. I silently apologized to them, sincerely to Glenn before reaching out and accepting the help from Paul. 

>>>>>

It's been three days already. My wound is still healing, but everything is okay. Sasha and I have been staying in Paul's trailer. He thought we'd feel better staying with him rather than being put into a room being surrounded by people who would just stare at us and silently question our being here. I have a bandage on my shoulder. Harlan was able to remove the bullet from my shoulder. The pain was excruciating, but I managed to pull through with it. I can't exactly do much lifting, but I'm still able to pull some of my weight around Paul's trailer.

I guess I was thankful to count my lucky stars for being alive after getting shot. But I guess I paid the cost for shooting at Negan. He shot me in the shoulder, yes. But that doesn't mean I got away with living. There are some complications. I don't have much feeling in my arm. At first, I thought it was the numbing stuff harlan gave me taking too long to ware off. Turns out, Harlan thinks it could be nerve damage. I can't feel anything down to the fingertips. It's weird. I can touch my own hand, Sasha and Paul touch my hand, but I can't feel a single thing. Never did I imagine I'd lose feeling in one of my hands.

Sasha and I sat outside the medical trailer. Maggie's been sleeping the past three days. When I tried to think of what was wrong with her, I guessed right. Separation from the uterus. The baby's doing great, a strong heart beat. Now, all Maggie needs to do is remain here for the duration of her pregnancy and take it easy. The abruption was small, but if she does anything rash, it can make it worse and she might end up losing the baby for sure. 

The door opens up, Sasha and I quickly getting up and moving out of the doorway. We find Maggie stepping out and locking eyes with us.

"You, uh- You okay?" Sasha asks her. Maggie shuts the door. I could tell she was doing a lot better. That dying color in her fave is finally restored with blush. She looks good. I don't know if I should be around her. I do blame myself for Glenn's death and I would be okay if Maggie hated me for it. I wanted to give her the space, but Sasha insisted Maggie wouldn't be mad.