Ch. 67

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 67- Sing Me a Song

Reece's Point of View:

Rosita and I went off to Alexandria. Jesus and the Hilltop fighters went back to Hilltop, while Daryl, Michonne and Tara went off to handle something else. Daryl wanted me to stay home and get better, save my strength and become strong again. Rosita decided to come back home with me, feeling that she needed to be there with me. 

We brought home Chooli. We informed Adrial of Chooli. Adrial is only 17 years old. He's got no parents. His grandmother just died. And he's got no one.

I stood over Chooli's grave with Adrial. We were both silent for a long moment. Nobody said anything. I don't even know if we wanted to. I know I didn't. Adrial might 17 years old, but I'm going to make sure I keep an eye on him. He'll move into my home. He'll stay in one of the rooms. I'll...adopt him. He's still a kid. He needs parental guidance. I mean, he lost his parents in the before world, all he had left was his grandmother. I loved Chooli in the small amount of time I've known her, but I feel that I owe it to her.

"All this time, I thought...why didn't I go back for her?" Adrial says. "We were running from them. She tripped and fell. I stopped to help her, but she....she told me to run. So I ran. I ran and I ran. I could've stopped to help her. I could've done something. But I was afraid. I ran. And this whole time, I knew I could've helped her." I turn my head and look at him. 

"She wanted to keep you safe." I tell him softly. Adrial turns and looks at me. 

"Yeah, but...they far enough for me to go back and help her up and for us to escape together." He says. "I could've helped her. I could've done something, but I didn't." I inhaled deeply and grabbed his hand. 

"She wanted you to be safe." I say. "You got away and you came here. And then I was taken by the same people and I met her. She might've died, but I was still able to bring her home. She...thought it was a sign. A sign that it was meant to happen. And every time I told her that our people would find us, we'd both get out, she kept saying that only I was gonna make it. Adrial, I think she knew she wasn't gonna make it. But I think she was okay with it." 

"Why do you think that?" He asks. 

"Because you have me, now." I explain. "I'm gonna watch you. You're gonna come live with me." I say. Adrial inhales deeply and nods his head. 

"Thanks, Reece." He says softly. We turn to face each other and we hug. I hear someone clearing they're throat and we break the hug. I turn my head and find Rosita standing a small distance from us. I turn to Adrial and show him a small smile.

"Go ahed and grab your things, move into my house." I tell him. 

"Does Daryl know?" He asks. 

"Not yet, but he's not going to care. He'll understand." I reassure him. He nods his head and walks off. I walk over to Rosita and show her a small smile.

"How's he doing?" She asks. 

"He's okay, I think." I nod. "He's going to be living with me for a while. I think I owe it to Chooli." Rosita lightly smiles. "What's up? You're looking for me?" I ask.

"Yeah, uh, I just wanted to let you know that Rick is off with the Scavengers. He's talking them into helping us fight the Saviors since we lost the Kingdom." She explains. 

"God, what the hell did I miss?" I ask. "I was gone a couple hours and it feels like I've been gone for days."

"Well, Ezekiel, Carol and Jerry were the only ones who made it out alive after the ambush at Gavin's outpost. Obviously, everyone at Hilltop and Alexandria made it out okay...ish. We lost some people. Francine, Eric-"