64

Fight-Flight or Freeze, it is your body's response  to danger. It's a type of stress response that helps you react to perceived threats, like an oncoming car or a growling dog. You either stay and fight the threat, run or completely freeze in the face of it.

I suppose, being an agent and emerged in danger, I learnt to fight instead of running or freezing. But, as my grip on Amanda's shoulders loosen, I just stand there, with her arms still wrapped around me. And her body going slack against me. Looking down at her shoulders, I zone in on the blood colouring her jumper in between her shoulder blades. 

"MOMMY!" Tommy yells, looking up slowly. I watch as Tony gets into a suit, whilst Steve and Dean chase after the Winter Solider, who stares straight at me. No emotion, no expression just an empty void piercing through me. Nat and Clint, move to come toward me, stopping when they see Amanda. Jacob looks at me briefly, before walking over to Tommy and picking him up, taking him out of the room.

Amanda, chokes which turns into a coughing fit as she splutters blood onto my back. Still frozen in place I feel her pull away slightly, dragging her hands along my back until resting on my shoulders. Looking down at her, she removes one hand and presses it to her chest, to which she winces and looks at me, sadly. "It's going to be ok" she chokes, her pupils dilating as she grows weaker.

Looking back down, she places a hand against my chest, feeling the throbbing I follow her gaze and watch as she pulls her hand away with more blood staining her palm. The pain, finally making sense, my ears start ringing as more gunshots sound, this time coming from behind me. Clint and Nat reaching my side, slowly easing Amanda away, and sit her against a wall. With her presence gone, I take my own hand and press it to my chest, and watch as my hand also becomes stained with the blood. 

Feeling my limbs, go heavy and numb. I continue to stand in the hallway, watching the scene, yet not taking any of it in. As if finally realising I haven't moved, Nat comes to my side, her face not portraying whether or not she knows of my injury, just stunned as she looks behind me. Then she closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She must have said something to Clint as he turns and curses before pressing his hands on Amandas wound, and instructing Nat what to do.  

When she leaves to fetch something I turn around, finally finding some sense to move. Seeing the scene in front of me, I feel my heart break and my body suddenly feeling like the heaviest thing in the world, I crumple collapsing to my knees as I stare at the lifeless body in front of me.

The crack of a smirk, makes my insides squirm as they fire one last bullet, this time down at their feet into the already dead body of Tommy.. Running she takes off, with no one chasing her. I gasp, from having not felt the oxygen enter and leave my body. I fall to my side hitting the floor and when my head makes contact with the cool marble. My hearing returns, as does the feeling in my body.. the pain... the fear and the overwhelming sadness. 

"He got away- w-w hat happened" Dean mutters his voice causing more cracks to my soul as the image of their hand pulling the trigger echoes in my mind. Feeling a hand on my cheek, my eyes flutter over to Tony who is crouched next to me, no longer in the suit he looks at me terrified. Opening his mouth, he says something which I can't hear as my head rolls back so I am looking up at the ceiling. 

"What happened to my baby?!" I hear Amanda cry before bursting into tears and wretched sobs,  opening my mouth, I close my eyes as I mumble, "You lied" before falling under.

«««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

Third Person POV.

No word was said, no murmur or even a whisper. As Dean walks up to his baby brothers body, the reaction enough to say a thousand words as he stumbles, and eventually lowers himself so he is sitting next to him. Bending over the body he pulls him to his chest and starts crying. After a couple of empty moments of listening to him cry, Dean places the body back down and reaches over his brother and delicately closes his eyes, to hide the motionless blue eyes that stare at the ceiling wide with fear, and red from crying. 

Nat walks up to Jacob, who knees on the floor, near the boys body, and helps him wrap his arm in a temporary sling. She then returns to Amanda's side pressing a damp cloth to her forehead as she falls into unconsciousness, her eyes straying to the still bodies of her son and step daughter.

Clint then picks up Amanda, and after asking JARVIS to contact the hospital he slowly walks to the elevator, and waits while Tony carries Y/n and Jacob follows with his arm wrapped in a temporary sling. Nat, Dean and Steve linger in the penthouse as they try to work out what happened, while Dean stays silent mind elsewhere. As he now potentially looses a mom, a sister and has already lost a brother. 

The car ride, is just as silent as Happy drives them to the hospital. As they approach the hospital, a hum interrupts the silence as an orange portal appears under Y/n's body and then promptly disappears as does Y/n's body.

"What was that?" Clint asks, breaking the silence again, as Tony stares at his lap where Y/n's head was resting.  Jacob looking up, cast his eyes down "Don't worry she is safe, she is with a wizard" He mutters, as Happy pulls up to the hospital. Tony snapping his head up "The ancient one?" he asks, Jacob looks at him confused "I never knew their name, just knew she was a wizard who creates portals like that" He says exiting the vehicle. Tony and Clint both help, get Amanda out of the car and into the hospital where she is quickly taken off to surgery.

"I'm gonna kill him" Clint mutters, when he sits in the waiting room, next to Tony who hums. "I thought you were on a vacation?" He asks, Clint shrugs "Vacation can wait a little longer, I need to make sure this bastard pays for what he did to her" He replies. Tony nods before standing and accepting a call from Steve and Nat. Hanging up he walks back to Clint.

"Nat and Steve, are going to check out the intel they got. But Dean as has gone after Jessica on his own" Tony says. Clint curses and stands "Idiot, he is running on grief, he is going to get himself killed" He mutters annoyed. Tony looks down the hall as a doctor walks toward them with a grim expression which makes Tony deflate.

"Are you the ones who brought in Amanda Hill?" She asks, (Amanda took Williams last name, rather than keeping her last name with her previous partner) Tony nods, as the doctor walks up to the two men.

"When you brought her in, her injuries surpassed that of our expectation, the bullet had led to too much blood to be loss... I am sorry we did the best we could, she ...didn't make it. I'm sorry for your loss" The doctors says sadly.

Clint walks away, kicking a rubbish bin as he leaves the hospital. Tony talks with the doctor about a plan, before joining the Archer and Jacob who now has a proper sling and cast around his broken arm.

"Have you heard from Y/n?" Tony asks as he reaches Jacob, who shakes his head. "no, but she wouldn't contact me anyway" Jacob says before getting inside the car. Clint gets in after, followed by Tony who orders Happy to take them back to the penthouse where they get ready to try save at least one of the remaining members of this family.