71

«««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

1995

«««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

"Why am I in the back seat?" I ask, leaning forward between Nick and The Blonde whos name is Vers? (as of yet, she doesn't remember her name being Carol, I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I am wrong)

"Because, I know where I am going, she doesn't trust me, so your in the back" Fury says. Vers smirks "Plus, children have to sit in the backseat" She says. Making me roll my eyes "Didn't realize you were accustomed to the laws of children car safety" I say blandly.

"Well knowing we have a 5 year old on our team, thought it was best if I learned them" She snarks. Fury looks back at me amused.

"So, how old are you now?" He asks ending our bickering. I look at him confused "As in now, 1995? or now for me now, in 2014?" I ask he nods "2014"

"22, turning 23" I say leaning back in the car, as Vers chuckles "See child" She repeats making me 'playfully' glare at her.

"Jesus, how long have you been an agent?" Nick asks, almost stunned. Making me look at him amused. "Uh, I came to SHIELD when I was 17, and started going on missions, when I was 18" I say, wary of what I can and can't say.

"Why did you go to SHIELD?" Vers asks, getting defensive I cross my arms over my stomach. "What's with all the questions?" I ask. Vers rolls her eyes "Just a question" She says simply. Squinting at her for any signs of mockery or mistrust, before sighing and looking out the window.

Fury, noticing the shift changes the subject "Okay. The Skrulls send alien races to infiltrate and take over planets... and you're a Kree" Fury says, I pipe up in a mocking tone "A race of noble warriors" I add, Vers turns around "Heros" She corrects, I shrug in response 

"Noble warrior heroes. So, what do Skrulls want with Dr. Lawson?" Fury asks sending me a warning look from the rear view mirror. 

"They believe that she developed a lightspeed engine at Pegasus" Vers says, I look back over at her. "Light speed engine?" I question.

"Gotta admit, that's not the craziest thing I've heard today" Fury deadpans, making me smirk looking out the window. "Well, it's still early" Vers continues

"And you? What do you want?" Fury asks

"To stop the Skrulls before they become unstoppable"

"And if you can't?" I ask, making her turn to me

"I will" She says confidently, I tilt my head, not expecting the confidence.

"And?" Fury questions, making us both turn to look at him. "Look, war is a universal language. I know a rogue soldier when I see one. You got a personal stake in this" He says, making Vers look down, I raise my brow confused, but we pull up out the front of some gate. Fury stops so he is can wind down his window and hear the prompts of the speaker next to him.

"This is government property. Turn your vehicle around" The speaker announces, as Fury pulls out his SHIELD badge.

"Nicholas Joseph Fury. Agent of SHIELD" Fury says, holding his badge up, at the little box. "Place your thumb on the pad" The speaker says after a short moment. After Fury complies it speaks again asking for us to wait a moment.

"Nicholas Joseph Fury? You have three names?" Vers asks, making me chuckle. 

"Everybody calls me Fury. Not Nicholas, not Joseph, not Nick. Just Fury" He says making me look at him confused, I thought most people called him Nick, guess not.