Chapter 62: What are you afraid of?

Amelia's outfit above.

Amelia Black

"Have you really signed an NDA?" I ask Dr Sloan once we seat in office. It's different from his wife's. This is darker and moodier.

"Yes, of course." He smiles.

I look at Adam who looks bored yet utterly handsome then look back at the doctor I get distracted. "And you're fine with me being here?"

"Of course. I noticed some tension between you and Adam outside. Would you like to discuss that?"

Before I can speak, Adam looks at him. "Why should I let you to talk to my wife, Sloan?" His answer makes me irritable. "You don't get to decide who I speak to."

"I would like to talk to both of you. Together."

"Like couple's therapy?" I ask, excited. I never thought I would do something like this but maybe it could benefit Adam and I.

"Yes."

"No." Adam says so I look at him and give him a pleading look. "I want to do this."

He takes his time, staring at me like he's in a battle with himself then he softens. "Fine."

I plaster a smile for him but he looks away.

"So what is going on?" Dr Sloan asks. "I've been getting a cold shoulder for the past two days." Adam surprises me by answering first.

"Because we had a fight and you chose your ex over me and then, I found out the past two years of my life have been a lie." I retort and he rolls his eyes. "I didn't choose her."

"You believed her over me."

Dr. Sloan frowns and writes something down on his notebook. "There seems to be an issue of miscommunication. Why don't you each run me through what happened?"

I go first and explain the events that took place the night of my graduation and everything that happened after.

Adam decides to not say anything so Dr Sloan looks at him. "Adam, why do you let Amelia carry out these assumptions about Giselle?"

Again. Silence.

"In our last couple of sessions, we spoke about you opening up. Are you still willing to try?"

"I am trying. I just don't know what to do anymore."

"How about you start with the truth? The only thing holding you back is your fear." Dr Sloan say so I ask, "What are you afraid of you?"

Adam is so strong and powerful and he took care of himself his whole life. Sometimes I forget that no matter what, he's still young and trying to figure things out.

"It's okay to tell her." Dr Sloan encourages.

I look at my husband and his jaw is clenched. He swallows hard and whispers, "Losing you."

I feel my eyes watering. "Adam, you won't lose me because of something you did in the past. We all have are our share of mistakes."

I don't care about his past. It's just frustrating that he has all these secrets. I sigh and push my hair back as if it will make everything better,

He looks at me. "You think you want to know everything but trust me, you don't. My past is a burden on me. I don't want that for you."

"You can't protect me from everything."

"Watch me." He says, putting on a cold expression. Ugh!

"See! He's impossible!"

"So then how does this work?" Dr Sloan asks.