Chapter 17 - Preparation

3rd POV

Rimuru arrived at the courtyard of Milim's temple with a slight disturbance in the atmosphere around him.

He was immediately greeted by Karion, the ex-demon lord, who was passing by just in time.

Seeing someone suddenly appear in front of him out of nowhere, Karion was surprised for a moment but quickly took his battle stance and readied for attack.

"Hey Karion, long time no see." Rimuru said as he appeared in front of Karion who was ready to fight. He was slightly taken aback by his battle stance.

"Rimuru? What are you doing here?" Karion said as he slowly lowered his guard. He was still in shock since he didn't even noticed that someone was teleporting until he saw it.

"I just came back from Ruberios. How about you?" Rimuru casually asked as he offered a hand for a shake.

"I was just passing by when suddenly you appeared out of nowhere. I thought the enemies were invading." Karion replied with an awkward smile as he took Rimuru's hand and shook it a few times.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you." Rimuru apologized with a light smile.

"No need for apology. By the way, Milim and Ciel is waiting inside the temple. You'd better go see them." Karion said as he pointed at the temple's door.

"Okay. See you later then." Rimuru said and turned around. As he was about to head to the door, Karion called him from behind.

"Hey Rimuru." (Karion)

"Hm?" (Rimuru)

"Good luck." And before Rimuru can ask anything further he walked away.

'Why did he say that?' Rimuru thought as he walked up to the door.

As soon as he reached the gate, he instinctively sensed danger and ducked just in time as the huge stone door flew out of its place and went straight toward him.

Rimuru quickly absorbed the door before it touched him and looked at where the door used to be to see Milim standing proudly with a smug grin on her face.

"Wahahaha, welcome back noda!" Milim exclaimed as she ran up to Rimuru who was brushing off some dust from him.

"Umm, Milim? We don't usually greet others by throwing a stone door at them." (Rimuru)

Milim paid no attention to what he said and began to talk about the new skills he learned while he was gone.

As he was listening to Milim's endless chattering half-heartedly, Rimuru suddenly felt chill running down his spine.

He slowly raised his heas and his gaze traveled over Milim until it met his worst nightmare.

At the end of his gaze stood Ciel, whose gaze was boaring at Rimuru. Her eyes were glowing with crimson lights and the cold aura was leaking out from her.

'Crap! I was too late. So this was why Karion wished me luck..." Rimuru thought as he began to sweat hard.

"Milim, why don't you go find Frey and play with her? I need to speak with him right now." Ciel said to Milim. A cold smile was on her face and her gaze never left Rimuru.

"Oh, o- of course. I'll be leaving than. Bye uncle Rimuru." Milim said and she hurriedly rocketed through the sky. Rimuru thought that Milim was trying to say, 'Try your best to survive.'.

As soon as only two of them were left, Ciel began to approach Rimuru slowly, like a predator cornering its prey.

"Now, now. What did I tell you when you were at the dungeon?" Ciel said. Though her face was smiling, her voice wasn't.