Chapter 27

Stephanie's Pov

I arrive at school and see James without Michelle.
"Where's Michelle? I hardly see you without her nowadays" I say.
"Ha ha" he joke "Nah. Her mum is coming home today so she'll be late" he says casually.
We make small talk as usual.
"So James, how's the bet going?" Hunter says.
"Bet? What bet?" I ask.
"Fine" James grumbles.
"Can someone tell me what the bet is?" I say getting impatient.
"James has to pretend to love Michelle till prom when he has to turn up with some other chick. Not like you actually like her aye mate? Just upping the reputation" Hunter laughs. James laughs with him
"Yea aye" he says smiling. I frown at him.
What does he think he's doing?
"James. Can I talk to you"
"Yea sure what ever" he says.
We get to a private area.
"What the hell James!"
"What?" He says like no big deal
"Don't fuck around with me. What the hell are you doing to Michelle?" I'm so disappointed in him.
"You think I want to do this? God, they put my whole carrier on the line an if i fail I'll have to fork out 20 fucking Kay"
"Fucken hell James. Why didn't you turn it down?"
"And ruin my reputation?"
He has got to be kidding.
"So a reputation is worth more than someone's heart? " I soften my voice.
"Listen Stephanie. I actually do love her. When I first started dating it was on my own will then the boys found out and I was done for. I really love her"
"Bullshit James. Your just an asshole who plays with girls hearts!" I basically scream at him.
"Fuck you Steph. Your a little slut who sleeps around with guys every weekend"
I'm taken a back. Never thought my own brother would say that to me.
"Wow James. I never thought you'd stoop down to such a low level. Just proves your a even bigger asshole than I thought. Do you ever think about what mum would say? How'd she feel?" He face softens. I take it as a cue to leave.
"Don't tell Michelle" he says. I turn around an see his back still to me.
"That's your job. I'd never do that to my best friend or the one I love. Michelle doesn't deserve this. She doesn't even deserve you"
I walk away feeling more ashamed than ever. I can't let this happen to her.