Chapter 35

Michelle POV

After James and I made up it just hasn't been the same. It feels like he is hiding something from me. I feel tension around us.
We've had a few arguments lately and each one a piece of our spark is chipping away.
Our six month anniversary is coming up and I just want things to go back to normal. James too seems to be on edge, like something he is regretting is catching up to him.
Right now we are at his house just watching a movie. There's a small gap between us and it feels like it is forever growing.
"James?" I ask
"Yeah?" He sighs.
"This doesn't feel right" I say. I don't make eye contact but I know he is staring at me.
"Wha-what do you mean?" He stutters sitting up.
"This. Us. I dunno, there's a constant tension and I'm not enjoying it"
"So what are you saying?" He sounds like he's getting angry.
"I'm not saying anything or implying anything either. I'm just, all I want is for things to go back to normal. How they used to be between us"
"Well what do I need to do?" He sounds desperate.
"Well for starters I feel like there is something that your not telling me"
"What? No"
My dad used to be a cop. I now know all symptoms of when someone is lying.
1). Denial.
"James. I know there's something going on. I can tell. I feel like the entire group knows too"
"Honestly Michelle. The group is a bunch of dicks anyway you wouldn't even want to know"
2). Swap the blame.
"So there is something I don't know"
"Michelle. It doesn't concern you anyway. Okay so there is something but it's not, it wont, ahh. How do I put this? It's just a well we've been all good mates for ages. We have a lot of memories and stuff"
3). Confession. Except he didn't really tell me.
"So basically I'm always gonna be a outcast cause I'm new and I've not been mates since forever"
"Yeah wait no. No Michelle it's not like that"
"Than why can't you tell me?"
"Cause it's none of your business" he snaps.
"Right" I say biting my bottom lip. "So I'll forever be that outcast new girl that doesn't fit in? That's fine"
He doesn't say anything except bite the inside of his cheek and look at the ground.
"Fine then. I guess I'll go" I mumble getting up. He stands up to and walks me to the door.
I step out and he grabs my shoulder. I shrug his hand off.
"Michelle" he says but I just leave. I can't stand him and his secrets anymore. If I can't fit in that group I'll just have to make new friends and leave it. They can't accept me so I'm not going to try anymore. If James can't trust me enough to tell me anything then I can't be with him. There will always be the barrier between us and I don't want that.
I get home and go straight to my room.
My phone starts ringing. I see its Eldon.
"Hey" I sigh.
"Hey Mitchie your not sounding fresh"
"Yeah I'm sorry"
"It's fine. Hey I was wondering if you wanted to come up here for a few days. I'm transferring my stuff into my new apartment and I was wondering if you wanted to help, spend some time with the family. And since your such a ocd freak about organisation I was hoping you can help me with my layout"
I'm about to object but I stop myself. Maybe this'll do me some good. Get away from everything for a while.
"Eldon that sounds like a brilliant idea. I'll be up as soon as I can"
"Yes! Thanks so much Mitchie. I knew I can count on you. Have a safe trip. I'll see you soon"
"Bye" I hang up with a smile.

James pov
I don't know what's gotten into me. This whole bet is tearing me apart. It's making me ruin Mine and Michelle's relationship.
"Bro how's the bet going?" West asks. I don't even know why I'm with him and Hunter.
"Fine" I mumble.
"Heard yous are in a argument right now" Hunter snarks.
"Why do you care?" I ask looking at them.
"Because if she decides to dump you anytime soon, you owe us 10k" West says smirking.
"Well she's not gonna dump me" I say convincing myself more then them.
"Where is she anyway?" Hunter asks.
"If you care so much why don't you ask her yourself? You guys are pretty right anyway" I practically yell.
"Woah. Somebody's a little jealous"
I just role my eyes and get up and leave. Hunter has no respect for Michelle. I know what he wants and he will not get it. West just wants a show.

I drive over to Michelle's house with some flowers and the necklace she's been nagging me about. I was going to save if for our anniversary but I have something better planned.
When I knock at the door her mum answers the door.
"James" she says in a monotone.
"Hello, is Michelle here?" I ask peeking around her.
"No. She's not even in town anymore. Just left about an hour ago"
All I feel is rage and anger built up inside me. Also loss and sadness.
"Left? Where did she go?" I ask.
"Well if she hasn't told you obviously she didn't want you to know and it's not my business to tell you anyway"
"But-"
"James. It's best you leave. My daughter is to naive to let you in but I'm not. I don't think you've changed one bit. My daughter tells me everything. If your planning on hurting her you'd better leave her now or so help me James. She's been through enough and now with you, a constant nah on her back. I'm just trying to look out for her"
"Why do you hate me?" I ask my voice dropping to almost a whisper.
"I don't hate you. I just love Michelle. She's my baby and I have a feeling your gonna ruin her and I'm never wrong about a feeling"
"I love her too you know. She's like my whole world. I've made mistakes an I'm about to make the biggest one in my entire life but I still love her"
She's silent for a moment.
"I think you should leave"
"Can you tell her I stopped by"
"Bye James"
I leave the items on her doorstep and walk back to my car. Before I open the door I stand the for a moment to calm down and stop the tears. I yell out in anger and kick my car door several times.