Chapter 28

James Pov

"Hello?"
"Dad hi" I say
"James? Hi umm hi haven't heard from you in a while"
"Yea well just like you, I haven't had time"
"James if the only reason you called was to-"
"Can my girlfriend and I come over for dinner tonight?" I say quickly.
"What?"
"You heard me. I'm not repeating" just hearing his voice makes my insides boil.
"Uh yea sure what time?"
"6. Bye" I hang up and look down at my phone. I look at the photo of me and Michelle. She looks so happy. I can't do this to her. She doesn't deserve it. But I'm to selfish to let her go.
After lunch I go to Michelle's house. I had a free period and she Hasn't been at school today and I want to know why.
I get to Michelle's house and knock on the door. Moments later, her mum opens it.
"James" she says awful cheery.
"Hey uh is Michelle in?" I ask.
"She's out actually. But I can leave a message for you"
"Um" I peak over her shoulder and see Michelle on the couch. Their house is small and you can exactly hide very well. I look at her mum and narrow my eyes.
"Yea sure. Can you tell her to be ready before 5:30. I'm taking her to dinner with my dad" I say. Why would her mum lie to me? Is Michelle avoiding me?
"Um yea okay, anything else?"
"Yea. Tell her to call me when she gets back" I walk away and back to me car.
What's going on?

-

It's nearly five thirty and Michelle still hasn't called. I arrive at her house and knock on the door.
Michelle opens it in a beautiful dress. Her hair is in tight curls and she just looks beautiful.
"Hey Michelle" I say smiling.
"Hey" she says smiling back.
"You ready?" I say.
"Yeap"
As I start to drive i decide to ask Michelle what happened today.
"So why weren't you at school?"
"I told you. I had to get my mum" she says laughing a little.
"Yea that's right. Did she ever tell you I stopped by?" I ask
"Uh yea" she says her smile fading.
"Uh huh. I'm giving it to you straight, why didn't you call or text me today?"
"Me and mum were having a girly evening. I've been spending a lot of time with you and k haven't seen her in ages so I thought it'd be nice to just hang with her all day" she says.
"Oh. I'm so sorry. Were you planning a dinner or something also?"
"No. Just a pizza. Nothing special" she say fiddling with her hands.
"Oh. I'm sorry if I interrupted"
"It's fine"
I stop the car outside my dads house.
"Is Stephanie gonna be here?" She asks
"Well she lives here doesn't she?" I joke. She blushes and still looks down.
"Yea right. Sorry"
"Michelle. I haven't seen you all day" she looks up at me with sad eyes. I lean in an kiss her softly.
"I love you, okay?"
"Okay" she smiles
"Good. Now let's have a night in hell. I mean a good night" I say. She rolls her eyes.
We walk hand in hand into his house. Normally when I come here for parties it's not so bad. I normally drown myself out in the music. But since I'm here as a casual guest it's different.
"Michelle!" Steph screeches around the corner. The hug each other. Steph gives me a dirty look. I just shove my hands in my pockets and look at the ground.
Michelle returns by my side.
"Dads in the kitchen and Lauren is getting fixed up as for Josh" she stops as a small boy comes running around the corner. I've had a little soft spot for the kid. I mean he has to deal with my dad and Stephanie.
"Hey little man" I say ruffling his hair.
"I'm not a little man I'm almost 7" he says. Michelle giggles to herself
"I see" I say.
"Who's the pretty lady" he says referring to Michelle.
"This is Michelle, my girlfriend" I say smiling at her. She smile back.
"Hi Michelle. You very pretty. I'm Josh" he says intruding himself.
"Hello Josh, it's a pleasure to meet you" she says going down to his level.
"Ah James. So glad you called" my dad says coming around the corner. He walks up to Michelle. I instantly stand closer to her and wrap my arm around her waist pulling her close.
"You must be Michelle. I've heard a lot about you" he says smiling.
"All good I hope" she jokes. Everyone laughs. I push a fake one out.
"If you'll seat yourselves down. Dinner will be ready as soon as Lauren gets here" he says.
We make our way into the kitchen.
I lead Michelle in but she pulls me back.
"You okay?" She asks me.
No. I'm scared as shit Steph will open her big mouth, I don't want to be around my dad an I'm betting there's gonna be some sort of argument.
"I'm fine" I say am flash her a smile. I kiss her softly on the lips and continue our way into the kitchen.
We sit down and Lauren walks in way to over dressed.
My dads eyes literally pops out of his head when he sees her.
"Hi I'm Lauren" the she beast says introducing herself to Michelle.
"Hi, I'm Michelle. Pleasure to meet you"
Lauren just flashes a smile and sits next to my dad.
We begin eating dinner just making small talk. I don't say anything. Michelle has her hand on my knee to comfort me through this.
"So Michelle, how long have you and James been together?" My dad asks. All eyes turn to us. Michelle's cheeks redden slightly. Steph frowns at me and I roll my eyes at her.
"Umm about 3 months now?" Michelle questions looking at me.
"Yeah. Best three months I've had" I say cheekily. He cheeks flush a even darker red. Stephanie just shakes her head.
"I'm surprised really" Steph says "I'm mean that you've actually lasted this long with him. Clearly he's poisoned you or else you'll see what a total dick head he really is" everyone laughs a little. I don't. I purse my lips together and narrow my eyes. She's stepping on the line.
-
Lauren, my dad and Steph have their own conversation during desert.
"When do you want to leave?" I mouth to Michelle. She shrugs her shoulders when my dad interrupts us.
"So James, why do you get up to now a days?"
"Since when did you care?" I snarl.
"James" Lauren says "be nice to your father"
"Why?" I snort "why should I? What has he done for me?" I raise my voice slightly.

Michelle's Pov

"James" I say quietly to try and calm him. We were having a peaceful dinner and then something in James just snapped.
"James calm down alright? I was just asking" he dad scoffs.
"Oh really? Just how you were 'just asking' how mum was when she was dying. Like how you were 'just asking' when I was living alone with no one there to take care of me?!" He starts shouting now. I look at Josh an then at Steph. She chews her lip.
"James. You were always welcome to come back"
"Why?! So you could abandon me again? Why the hell would I go back to you?! You just a selfish asshole who's so self absorbed and doesn't give a damn about anyone!" He shouts at the last bit and stands up. Josh whimpers.
"Get out James" his dad says calmly.
"Gladly. I didn't even want to be here anyway" James shoves his chair under the table and storms out. I look down at my plate for a moment before getting up after him.
"James" I say once we are outside. "James!" I grab his shoulder. I pulls away from me.
"What!" He says harshly. "You knew I didn't want to go there"
"I told you that we didn't have to go so don't go blaming this on me" I say offended
"I wasn't blaming it on you!" He says his time remaining the same
"Then why'd you say that?"
He rolls his eyes and gets in his car.
"Really?" I scoff. "Your acting really immature right now" I knew this was the wrong thing to say.
"Immature?" He says to calmly stepping back out of his car. "Do you know how many memories were just clawed back to the surface? Do you know how painful that was for me?" He raises his voice at the end.
"No James. I don't. Okay? I'm sorry. I told you we didn't have to do this yet you insisted. Alright? So I'm sorry" I start walking away. I know my way home from here.
"Where do you think you're going?" He asks in a serious tone.
"Home" I say and continue walking.
"And you say I'm immature" I hear a car door shut and the engine start.
"Yeap"
As I'm about to turn down the ally way James car pulls up beside me.
"Get in the damn car" he says through the rolled down window. "No way in hell I'm letting you walk home at this hour"
I roll my eyes an get in on the other side.
"Listen Michelle. I'm sorry okay? You wouldn't believe how hard this was for me. I couldn't keep it down any longer. I'm sorry if I hurt you" he sounds like he genuinely means it.
"It's fine" I say.
"You sure?" He questions
"Yeah. I mean I'll never understand and I can't say I do but I do know what you mean" I look at him. His eyes are this firry. I lean in and kiss him to see if it will calm him.
His eyes immediately soften to the eyes I fell in love with.