Chapter 29

Michelle's POV

So I'm at cheerleading training and I'm really excited. I mean it's Sunday and I was supposed to hang with James but Stephanie called a emergency meeting so here I am.
"Alright girls so this Friday is a home game. This week we will represent. You all need to wear your cheer uniforms for the week. This was our agreement from the beginning and now it's happening"
Steph seems really anxious. She hasn't really looked at me or spoken to me since dinner with her dad last week.
"Okay girls. So good practice. I'll see you tomorrow in your uniforms"
I hang around afterwards so I can talk to her.
"Hey Steph" I say.
"Hey um I can't talk" she says her eyes darting everywhere.
"Please just five minutes" I beg.
"Fine"
"What's wrong? You avoided me all of last week. I feel like I've done something wrong"
"Listen I'm sorry. It's not you"
"Then what is it"
"I don't want you dating James. Okay? I'm sorry it's just how I feel. I know you both are in love but I just don't feel right about it"
"Oh" I say looking down.
"I'm not gonna be the crazy sister slash best friend and break you guys up. I just want you to be careful" she touches my arm and walks off. I wonder if she knows something. I mean at dinner she kept giving James dirty looks and stuff. I dunno.
I grab my bag and leave the field. In the carpark I see James and Steph having a argument.
"You'd better not ruin her" Steph hisses
"I know what I'm doing. I don't have a choice" James snarls. Just as Steph is about to say something else she glances over and sees me. James turns and see me. His face softens and he walks over to me. Stephanie shakes her head in disappointment and leaves.
"Hey babe" he says going in for a hug. I stick my hand out an push him slightly. He looks taken back.
"What was that about?" I ask narrowing my eyes for a spilt second.
"Nothing" he lies and fake smiles.
"Well who were you talking about?" I press
"no one".
"Why must you lie to me?" I ask keeping the same tone
"I'm- listen why do you care?" He says his smile fading.
"It seemed pretty serious. Just want to make sure everything is alright between my bestfriend an boyfriend" I say slight offended.
"Well it isn't your business so don't worry" he says
"Who was the 'her' you better not ruin an why don't you have a choice?" My voice shakes a little.
"My god why do you care so much" he says loudly
"Is it a sin to be concerned?"
He doesn't say anything. Just bites his bottom lip and looks everywhere but at me.
"Right" I say looking down and shifting my weight around.
James and I've been on edge a lot recently. It seems like he's keeping something from me and Stephanie knows what it is.
I start walking home and unlike last week, James doesn't come to pick me up.