Chapter 34

Michelle pov

I walk to school today. I feel a touch better. Spending time all weekend with my mum was helpful. It reminded me of the times we spent together before dad died.
I see 'the group' in their usual spot in front of the school. I avoid them and sit on the lawn out of view contact from them. I open up a book and start reading.
I get really into my book when suddenly someone comes up behind me and startles me. I drop my book and scream a little.
I turn an see Hunter pissing himself. I shake my head and pick up my book.
"Hey girl" he says dragon out the 'girl'
"Hi Hunter" I say. He takes a seat next to me.
"How've you been?" He asks the vibe between us suddenly changing.
"Um" my voice cracks "alright yeah. Better then I had expected" I say drifting off into speech.
"I'm sorry about everything" he says.
"Not your fault" I say looking down, picking at the grass.
"Yeah I just didn't know what else to say" he says laughing a little. I laugh slightly too and then a little harder until I'm in stitches. He's laughing too. It feels good to laugh.
The bell rings and we get up. When we round the corner the group has dispersed.
"I'll see you at lunch" Hunter says leaving me at Biology.
"Yeah see yah" I say. I enter the class. I see James. My heart beats a million times a minute. I want to run up to him and kiss him hard and forgive him. But that would be naive of me. Instead I walk with my head held high to me seat.
I know he's staring at me. I pretend to check my phone when really I use the black screen to check if he's really staring.
He is. Except he's staring at my phone. I quickly turn it on and see the picture of us. I melt. I unlock it and see another photo of us. Maybe I should just listen to him. But I don't know.

About half way through class, a crumpled note lands on my desk. I turn briefly in James direction and then open it.
Meet me after class behind the bleachers.
I stare at the note longingly. This reminds me of when he did this to my at the beginning of the year.
Why?
I quickly throw it back.
Because I love you and I miss you.
I melt when I read this one. God he has me whipped.
Fine. I guess-
As I'm writing my sentence a dark shadow looms over my desk.
"Shit" I whisper.
"You know. This sort of feels like day Ja vu" he snatches the note and reads it aloud. I hear James curse behind me. The class create a chorus of 'Oohs' and 'Awes' all staring at either James or I
"Detention. Both of you. After school" e announces. I let out a sigh in frustration just as the bell rings.
I get out of the class before James does and practically run to my locker before Hunter can find me.
Just as I put my things away my locker slams shut. I take a little gasp and I see James standing their smiling softly.
"Hey" he croaks.
"Hi" I practically whisper looking down.
"Can we talk?"
"Isn't that why we got detention?" I laugh shifting my weight around to lean against the lockers.
"Yeah I guess" he laughs. He reaches out to take my hand but I object by sliding my hands in my back pockets.
He moves his hand up to his head and runs in through his un-brushed hair.
We silently make our way to the bleachers and take a seat on the top ones. There's a small gap between us.
We are silent for a while. There's an awkward tension between us.
Our six month anniversary is next week. I just want things right by then.
"Listen Michelle. I swear on my life it was a mistake. I never ever would cheat on you" his voice is slightly strained and I can feel myself chocking up. "I don't know what happened all I know is I severely screwed up and I hurt you. I never meant to do that" his voice is pleading. I have to squeeze my eyes shut to stop the tears. "Michelle" he turns to face me now.
"You have to believe me"

James POV

"I'd never hurt you like that" as the words tumble from my mouth into the air between us I instantly regret it. Because I am going to hurt her in ways unimaginable.
"James I-" she stops herself and takes a deep breath. "What you did was heart breaking. I thought you got bored with me and intended to hurt me. I was so confused and I just didn't want to believe it. I-" a few tears drop from her eyes.
"I'm so sorry" I say "I still love you. That will never change no matter what happens" I say. It's true. Even when I completely ruin her I will still love her.
"I love you James" she says looking at me her eyes sparkling with tears. I grab her face with my hands and kiss her passionately.