Chapter 31: Race Through Consciousness

Seonghwa's POV

Seonghwa opened his eyes and he was back on the ship. He was in bed and the sun was shining brightly through his cabin window. He was about to get up when he realized an arm was wrapped around him. He turned around to see Mingi sleeping soundly next to him. He smiled softly to himself and decided he would just lay there for a little longer. That was until he heard a loud crash from the kitchen.

"Mingi... hey Mingi. Wake up." Seonghwa whispered, trying to shake Mingi awake with no luck. He decided to just check on it himself. He slowly pulled Mingi's arm off of him and crawled out of bed. As he quietly opened the door he heard another loud crash. Almost as if someone was shattering glass. The son of Poseidon slowly crept towards the kitchen, he jumped back at what he saw.

A tall figure, standing in the kitchen, throwing plates at the wall. Mingi? He was just in bed... how did he get here? Seonghwa took a step back which he instantly regretted. The floorboard creaked and the demon figure turned.

"Oh good, you're finally here." Mingi said, his voice void of any emotion. Mingi started walking towards Seonghwa, a knife in his hand. The son of Hades began to drag the knife against the walls of the ship. His eyes filled with the clear intent to kill. The sound of the wood splintering and cracking made Seonghwa even more uneasy. Why is he doing this? They were reconciled. They were close. They just spent so much time together and would have kept hanging out if he didn't get kidnapped by-

Everything came back to Seonghwa at once. They were fighting Hypnos and Morpheus. Seonghwa was shot in the neck with a dart. Seonghwa must have fallen asleep and now Morpheus is in his dreams.

"You aren't fooling me Morpheus. Why are you taking your time? You're supposed to kill me, right?" Seonghwa asked, trying to instill confidence in himself.

"Oh. Good for you for figuring it out." Morpheus responded. "And to answer your question, I like to think of myself as a performer. Like a young Freddy Kreuger. Want this to be a real Nightmare on Elm Street." The God explained, his change in tone completely ruining the frightening atmosphere.

"Well you aren't scary..." Seonghwa lied. The truth being that seeing someone he had gotten close to approach him with a knife left him terrified. The idea of being killed by someone he cared for so deeply broke his heart.

"What about now?" Seonghwa looked on in horror as Mingi's skin began to melt off the body. The skin liquified into a puddle on the floor with the clothes sitting on a pile on top. Morpheus now in his true form, that of a demon. His wings span the entire width of the hallway and his horns almost scraping the ceiling. Seonghwa quickly ran above deck wanting to fight in a more open area where he is closer to his element. Morpheus followed him upstairs quickly and once above deck he ascended into the sky. Seonghwa quickly held his hand out and pulled a column of water up from the ocean and sent it in the direction of the demon. The demon quickly sidestepped the blast and laughed in the face of the demigod.

"I was hoping you would try that. Just makes it more fun now that I can take it away." Morpheus chuckled and with a snap of his fingers the setting changed. Seonghwa fell a few feet out of the air and quickly tumbles down a hill. Once he was able to catch himself he was able to assess his surroundings. His ran his hands through the sand and felt the sun beating on him from above. He looked around and instead of the blue sea it was an ocean of sand. He was stranded in the desert.

"Try and use your water powers now, Son of Poseidon." Morpheus spat, Seonghwa turned to see him standing at the top of the hill. "Now, time to die. Better start running."

Seonghwa got to his feet and quickly began sprinting away. He turned to see the God continuing towards him at a slow walking pace. Seonghwa made sure to keep running, the unevenness of the sand below his feet wasn't helping him. After what felt like an eternity of sprinting Seonghwa couldn't believe what he saw. In the distance, there was a small oasis. And more importantly, a pond. Seonghwa's mouth was dry and he felt like his body was on fire, but he didn't have much further to go. Knowing it could be some sort of trap but not caring, he made his way towards the water source. By the time he got there his body had given up on him. He fell onto the grass and began crawling towards the water. Not noticing the figure nearby. When he reached the pond he splashed some onto his face and cupped as much as he could into his hands. Seonghwa began drinking the water so quickly he could almost drown himself. The regret followed shortly after as his body began to seize up. He couldn't move a muscle. He was paralyzed. He heard footsteps on the grass next to him but was unable to turn his head to see anything.