Chapter 4: What happened?

I have learned over the past 11 years that waking up to a quiet house is never good, and it never ends good for me.

I quickly started getting up from the floor, I felt a hard punch of pain through my stomach making me huddle over for a second. I decided to push the pain down because I have to get breakfast ready before I make Ryan wait any longer.

When I got to the kitchen I saw two men in my kitchen. One in a suit and one in a beat down white tank top with sweat stains down its back.

"Like I said, you owe me and I have given you two months Ryan! Pay up or I kill you, that simple." The man talked with great power, it felt as though I should bow down to him, but his voice sounded strangely familiar.

"o-o-okay...I'm s-sorry...I'm a single dad and I have my daughter that's upstairs." My "father" spoke in shaky voice. He looked terrified which I have never seen on him before. And since when did he care about me..?!

The man took a deep breath and simply pulled out a gun from him waist band making me freeze against the wall. "You see Ryan, I really don't care about your daughter. I care about my money. Friday, Ryan, friday." The man said while getting up slowly so I quickly hid behind a wall trying to be unseen and unheard.

After a few seconds I heard the door open and slam shut, making me jump.

After making breakfast I could tell Ryan was not in a happy mood. While I was making his eggs he purposely hit my knees so I would drop one of the eggs I had in my hand.

"Pick up more shifts at that fucking job you have. If you don't I will personally let my boss have you." Ryan said with venom dripping from each word.

I built up the courage to whisper, "i-i can't, I have scho-" I was cut short when a fist collided with my face making me clutch my cheek in my hand, I knew that it would leave a bruise.

"When I say you pick up more shifts, you pick up more shifts end of fucking discussion!" He said punching me again, clearly giving me more bruises on my face.

Good thing for my best friend makeup. After a few minutes the door opened and closed, and I took a small breath of relief.

While I was done getting ready I was about to put on my makeup till my phone buzzed. I'm so special this morning.-Note the sarcasm. Looking down at my phone I groaned, and then my face slightly lit up.

Derrick🪨: I was wondering if we could hang out today? Maybe get a nice dinner and Netflix and chill at my place..? ;) -Read: 7:20

Damion🔪: Hey do you need a ride to school, I'm over by your place and was just wondering. And also do you work tonight?

Me: Hey, nah I'm good I can walk, thank you though. And yes I work from 3-10 tonight, why?

Damion🔪: Okay, and no reason I was going to stop by for some tea but I don't trust anyone else touching my tea. (They might make it cold)

Me: Okay, well I'm glad you can trust me :). I will see you later, I'm at school now. -Read: 7:51

As I was walking into school I keep my head down not wanting people to judge me. I glanced up when I got to my classroom door I slowly opened it and walked inside the loud classroom.

"Well good morning, Aria." My English teacher greeted me with a smile. She's my favorite, she was always kind and always gave out little mints. "Good morning" I whispered only loud enough for her to hear.

"Okay class, today we are going to be doing essay, but this time no partners." The class groaned but I was relieved that I wouldn't have to work with Derrick.