40. The shade of jealousy

It is a known fact that Major Karan Shergill was extremely possessive of his wife Dr. Monami Mahajan Shergill. A decade long marriage and two kids later, the soldier still had to give lethal glares to youngsters and elder men alike in his wife's vicinity. He found it immensely annoying that her patients on the surgery table still had the audacity to flirt with her just because she couldn't wear her wedding ring in the operation theatre and considered her to be "available."

How did he know all this?  Siddarth. God bless his soul. The young lad was his eyes and ears in Mahajan hospital over the years. Anything and literally anything related to his wife was communicated to him within the hour, of course when he wasn't deployed to any serious missions that is.

What Karan didn't expect was to experience such behavior from one of her patients right under his freaking nose, sending him into a possessive rage like never before. He was at the hospital to visit one of his sergeants who had to have an emergency surgery after suffering multiple stab wounds.

Over the years, his team mates and all reporters had figured out in one way or another that the Major's wife was to be spoken of in highest respect. Thanks to the exclusive military training, Monami was like a celebrity even at his base and whenever she did visit her husband, which wasn't much per se, everyone knew that she was not to be stared at for longer than necessary. Unless you wished to get 100 laps around the base as a punishment. New recruits always got a punishment so much so that it had become a tradition and hefty bets were made by the higher ups as to who was to be screwed over soon.

Today he had planned to drop by for a quick greeting to his wife's office as well. She had a consultation going on, which he was aware of. Monami had informed him about it and told him to just let himself in and wait for her since she didn't expect it to take too long. She was in the smaller examination room which was a part of her office and the door was closed of course to maintain patient confidentiality.

Once done, his wife and a guy in his early 30s walked out. He had a decent build and exuded money and wealth. He wasn't as tall as Karan but then his wife's small stature made even the average ones look tall. The guy was constantly staring at Monami which was not something Karan appreciated one bit but he decided to stay quiet because he was a patient after all.

He normally blocked out people's conversations out of respect for their privacy, but this was his wife. And there was one thing everyone knew for a fact: Major Karan Shergill never played fair, if it had something to do with his beloved wife. When it came to her, he had to know every single thing, privacy be damned. He started eavesdropping, while acting to be engaged on his phone. Initially it was just the health updates when all of a sudden the punk said, "Dr. Mahajan, would you like to go out with me for dinner sometime? I would like to thank you properly for your treatment this past few weeks and maybe also get to know you better." He said it all with a confident but a hopeful smile telling the female doctor that he was most likely asking her out on a date.

She had already seen her husband in the periphery and if his glaring eyes were any indication she knew that Karan would become an imminent threat to her patient's life, if she didn't do something soon to rectify the situation.

Giving the man in front a hesitant smile, she replied, "Ah, Mr. Khanna that's very kind of you but you don't need to thank me. Its my job to treat you as your doctor. There is absolutely no need for such offerings." Incidentally Monami's hands were atop the table since she was writing a prescription when she felt Mr. Khanna's hand touch her and the first thing that crossed her mind was, 'if he doesn't take his hand away within the next few seconds, I will have to fix his broken bones soon.' She saw her husband approaching like a predator, jealousy and rage clear on his normally passive face. She took her hand away but Mr. Khanna was stupid enough to grab her hand again and hadn't yet registered Karan 's presence in the room. Oh lord, this dimwit still hasn't realized his impending doom.