IT ALL BEGINS

It was a beautiful spring day, the breeze so cool and filled with flower scents. The Ashta Vasus ( the eight-element gods representing aspects of nature ) are relaxing and enjoying the beautiful day with their wives. " Did you hear what happened in the Bhrama deva's pooja?" said one of the vasus wives. "Yes, Everyone is talking about it." said the wife of  Vayu Deva. " That Ganga Devi and King Mahabhisha got cursed to be born as a mortal. Only after breaking King Mahabhisha's heart, Ganga Devi can return to her heavenly abode." 

As they were speaking about Ganga Devi's curse, the Wife of Prabhasa (  Dyu  ) spots a beautiful Cow. She went to her husband and asked " Arya look at that cow grazing there, it looks so beautiful will you get me that cow."Prabhasa looked at the cow and turned to his wife with a smile " Anything for you Devi."

Prabhasa with the help of his other brothers steals the cow for his wife. His wife was so happy for the cow and thanked her husband. " Brother, isn't it adharma to steal someone's cow. What will happen if they start looking for this cow?" asked one of his brothers." Adharma is not fulfilling our wife's wish. She wished to have the cow, now she is having the cow." said Prabhasa.

After that, they continued to enjoy the rest of the day. Soon there was a huge noise, the entire forest was felt like thunderstruck, the birds and the deer are fleeing like the forest is on fire, and the vasus and their wives looked in the direction from where the noise is coming. And the noise is now clear as thunder. It was the voice of someone.

"WHO TOOK MY COW?" . The Vasus were in shock and looked at each other. Because the person who is shouting is none other than Sage Vashishtha. They have realized that the cow they stole is Nandhini, the daughter of the Wish-fulfilling cow Kamadhenu and it belongs to Sage Vashishtha.

The Vasus and their wives were in shock and they feared. Because when a sage got angered they give a curse which is unbreakable, even the god cannot undo it. 

"WHO TOOK MY HOLY COW?" as he was shouting, Sage vashishtha saw his cow and Prabhasa's wife who holds it. With full of anger he looked at her, before he started saying anything, Prabhasa's wife folded her hands and dropped her head" Oh Holy one, the mistake is all mine I am the one who wished to have the cow, please don't curse anyone. I am responsible for what happened here."

" Oh Devi! you may be responsible for what happened here, but you are not the one who is going to pay price for the mistake." saying that Sage Vashishtha turned towards the Vasus. " I know what happened here and the price for the mistake will be paid by the Ashta Vasus", with a rage he said, " I AM CURSING YOU ALL TO BE BORN AS MORTALS IN EARTH AND YOU WILL ALL PAY YOUR PRICE THERE!!"

It was like the entire universe is stopped for a moment. The Vasus were rooted like a tree. Slowly Prabhasa came forward and folded his hands " Sage Vashishtha, I am the one who stole your cow. I stole it because my wife wished for it. I please you, let me pay the price not my brothers. Without all of us, the entire universe will be at risk." 

Sage Vashishtha was silent for a moment, " Yes it is you who will pay more, Except you all others will be relieved from the curse within a year of their birth on the earth. But you, Prabhasa will live a hard life as a mortal. You will be tied with the human relationships and commitments as a result you won't be able to attain moksha for a long  time."

Prabhasa humbly accepted the curse. Sage Vashishtha took his cow and went. Prabhasa's wife was heartbroken and she started to sob " It's all because of me Arya. It is all because of me." Prabhasa put his hand on her shoulder and lifted her chin to look at him. " Devi do not blame this on yourself, You know right everything happens for a reason and this has also happened for a reason. After I born as a mortal everytime I look at the sky it will be you who I see. I may not able to remember you, but deep down in my heart you will always be there." saying that he consoled her.

" Brother, now we have to be born as mortals. But who will be so worthy to bear us in their womb and who will give moksha for our curse?" asked Dhruva ( Stars ). 

After a minute Varuna deva looked at his brothers and said " I know who will bear us in their womb."