BIRTH OF PANDAVAS & KAURAVAS

Gandhari had an unusual pregnancy period, she has been pregnant for more than a year now. The Kuru Clan was confused, "How could be this possible? How can a woman be pregnant for more than a year?" Dhritarashtra starting to lose his patience with Gandhari. Every day he asked Sathyavathi, Ambika, and others about the Unusual pregnancy of Gandhari. Satyavathi said, "Dhritarashtra, It may be because of the boon. She is supposed to have a hundred sons. And Mahadev's boon never is a lie. Have patience son."

In the forest, at an auspicious time, Pandu and Kunthi went to a nearby cliff. Pandu asked Kunthi, "Kunthi, My son should always be on the path of Dharma. He should lead his people towards Dharma. Kunthi invoke Dharma Deva by the mantra. Get me a son who will be a human form of himself." 

She started to invoke Dharma deva through the mantra. Soon Dharma Deva came before them. Both Pandu and Kunthi greeted him with their folded hands. "Kunthi, I was impressed by your mantra, as per Maharishi Dhruvasa's boon, you will get a son who will be a form of myself. He will always stand with Dharma. The world will know him as YUDHISHTRA." saying this Dharma deva blessed them with a son. Pandu holds his son and looked at his smiling face with love. He said, "My son, after my brother you will ascend the throne. You will be the Maharaj of Hasthinapur. " 

The birth of Yudhishtra reaches Hasthinapur. The People of Hasthinapur and The kuru Clan were celebrating his birth. But Dhritarashtra was heartbroken because his son is still unborn. With rage, he went to her chamber. 

Gandhari was upset with her pregnancy period. After hearing that Kunthi had given the first heir to the Kuru Clan, Gandhari was in the private temple of Mahadev. Dhritarashtra entered the temple and started shouting at her, "Gandhari, you have given nothing to me than pain. Even though you blindfolded yourself I loved you. I accepted you. Now you are pregnant for more than fifteen months. How can a woman be pregnant for this long period? You are such a disappointment to me Gandhari." she started to sob.

When Dhritarashtra turned towards the exit. He turned to one of Gandhari's handmaidens. He asked her name, she replied, "Your majesty, my name is Sughada." Unsure why he is asking her name, Gandhari asked him why. He said, "You failed to give me a son Gandhari. All I need is an heir, if you can't give one your handmaiden will give me one." saying that he order others to help Sughada get ready and should send her to his chamber. 

Heartbroken Gandhari asked her handmaidens to follow Maharaj's orders. Sughada sobbingly left the temple. After everyone left, Gandhari started crying, she started to punch her stomach and ask her son to be born. Because of the pain, she went into labor. The entire family and courtiers were standing in front of her chamber when suddenly a noise came. It was the physicians. When everyone went inside and looked at what happened. They were all shocked. Ambika and Ambalika screamed and looked away. In a tired state, Gandhari got up from her bed and asked everyone what happened, and why they all screaming. She was asking about her son. Sathyavathi said, "Son, What son? Gandhari you have given birth to flesh. Not a child." Hearing her words Gandhai fainted.

Dhritarashtra and others were shattered. Shakuni was staying with his sister's side. He tried to console her but in vain. When everyone accepted to dispose of the flesh that Gandhari gave birth to. Ved Vyasa arrived at Hasthinapur. He said, "What Gandhari gave birth to is not just flesh. It is a flesh which contains a hundred lives in it." He went to Gandhari and said, "Devi, do not worry, you got a boon from Mahadeva, his boon is never a lie. The flesh will be divided into hundred and will be put in one hundred and one special ghee pots. The pots will be placed in the cave underground. When the time arrives, Gandhari's hundred sons will be born. 

Hearing this everyone felt relieved. Meanwhile, in the forest, Pandu asked Kunthi to get a son who will be the strength of Yudhishtra. He asked her to get a son from Vayu deva.

The following day, Kunthi invokes Vayu deva and got a son. Vayu deva said, "Kunthi, my son will be strong as me. The world will admire his strength. Your son will be known as BHEEMA." Pandu got his son and looked at his chubby face. Kunthi and Pandu were very happy.

Hearing the birth of Bheema, Dhritarashtra started to lose his patience once more. He went to Ved Vyasa and asked him when will his son born. Ved Vyasa asked him to be patient saying all good things take time. 

Soon the day arrives. Their first son was born. Dhritarashtra's happiness knew no bounds. When he was preparing to leave the palace to go to his son, Kripacharya and an astrologer stopped him and said, " Your highness. Your son's birth will bring chaos to this Kuru Clan. Even this kingdom can fall to dust. It is better to abandon him. Since you will be having a hundred sons, you can have your second son as your heir. But if this child lives, it won't do good to this family."

Dhritarashtra's heart felt at a loss when he reached the cave. He had a mindset of abandoning him for the sake of the kingdom and its people. But when Gandhari placed him in Dhritarashtra's hand, the baby clasped his finger like its a lifeline. The baby chuckled looking at its father. Dhritarashtra's eyes filled with tears, he said "I won't abandon you, my son. I will love you till the end of my day, no matter what happens, I will not abandon you. You are my son. My first son, I name you DURYODHANA."

The neighboring kingdoms came bearing gifts and they all blessed the child. 

In the forest, Pandu, Kunthi, and Madri rejoiced at Duryodhana's birth. Later Pandu asked Kunthi to get a son from Indra deva. Kunthi invokes Indra deva and got a son, he said, "Kunthi, Your son will be the biggest warrior of this era. His valor and goodness will be admired by the world. His glory will be praised by the world till the end of time. He will be known as ARJUNA." 

After some days, Madri played with Yudhishtra, Bheema, and Arjuna. Kunthi went near them and said that their father is calling them. When the kids ran to their father, Madri's smile vanished from her face. Kunthi noticed her face and asked her what was wrong. Madri replied, "You know sister, I am always jealous of you because you are more mature than me and you always say the right things. Now because of you Arya having kids. I promise you, sister. I love them wholeheartedly, but they will see me as a stepmother. And I cannot have children. This hurts me, sister." She said sobbingly.

When Pandu asked Kunthi to have sons from Ashwini Kumaras. Kunthi said that this time Madri will tell the Mantra and have the kids. She invoked Ashwini Kumaras and got twins from them. They were named NAKULA and SAHADEVA.

At the same time all of Gandhari's sons were born. The second son was named DUSHASANA. At last as per Gandhari's wish a girl was also born. She was named DHUSHALA.

Sughada, Gandhari's handmaiden also gave birth to a son. He was named YUYUTSU.

Pandu's sons were known as PANDAVAS. Dhritarashtra's sons were known as KAURAVAS