HAND FOR MARRIAGE

Sage Ved Vyasa reached Hasthinapur. He went to his birth mother, Sathyavathi, and got her blessings. "My son, please help our clan. Bahlika's heirs refused to take the throne. They said they are unfit to rule. But someone has to rule this Kingdom. There is no heir to the throne. Maharaj Shantanu's soul will be in pain seeing this." said Sathyavathi sobbingly. He calmed his mother.

When Ambika entered his chamber, she was frightened by his appearance and closed her eyes. Due to this, her son was born blind. He was named DHRITARASHTRA. When Ambalika entered his chamber, she turned pale because she was terrified. Due to this, her son was born with Albinism. He was named PANDU.

Apart from both, a third son was born to Parishrami. She was one of the handmaidens of the queen Ambika and Ambalika. She was the only one who went in without any fear. Her son was born healthy. He was named VIDURA. Just because he was born to a low caste woman, Sathyavathi hated him. But Bhishma accepted him as the heir to the kuru Clan. Sage Ved Vyasa told Sathyavathi that she may hate him, but he will be a form of Dharmaraj himself. He will stand to Dharma no matter what the situation is.

Even though all three of them were born through Niyoga. They will be considered the heir to Vichitravirya.

Years went...

All three were growing fast. They were trained equally under Bhishma and Kripacharya. Vidura was always ill-treated by Sathyavathi. But he always treats her with respect.  Both Pandu and Vidura were devoted to their elder brother Dhritarashtra. Being blind by birth never stop him. He had the strength of hundred elephants in his arms. He could even crush iron with his bare hands. It was a boon from Sage Ved Vyasa. He excelled in Gada. He trained himself best for the throne of Hasthinapur. He was the first in line to the throne. 

Pandu was also a warrior just like his brother. But he was a Maharathi. Maharathi means a warrior who is capable of fighting 7,20,000 warriors simultaneously. They master all forms of weapons and combat skills. But their weapon of choice will be one. For Pandu, it was bow and arrow.

But Vidura was wisest among them. He learned warfare but he excelled in politics, administration, etc. He was more interested in the welfare of the people. He did a hard penance and got a Bow from God Vishnu, which was crafted by Vishnu himself. It was considered to be one of the most powerful weapons in Mahabharath.

The day of coronation for Dhritarashtra was fixed. Sathyavathi wished Dhritarashtra to get married before his coronation. She asked Bhishma to go to the kingdom of Gandhara and bring their princess, GANDHARI. Bhishma asked her, "Rajamatha, there are many princesses. Why her?"  Sathyavathi told him, "There is a reason Bhishma, Gandhari is the daughter of king Subhala and Queen Sudharma. She was noted for her devotion and righteous nature. She impressed God Shiva through her severe penance and got a boon to bear a hundred sons. She will be the right pair for Dhritarashtra."

Bhishma went to Gandhara and asked king Subhala for the hand of his daughter in marriage to Dhritarashtra. Initially, king Subhala hesitated to give away his daughter to get married to a blind man, but he was happy that his daughter will be the Queen of a powerful kingdom. He accepted Bhishma's proposal only for the fame of the Kuru Clan. 

However, her brother SHAKUNI was not happy. Shakuni was one of the sons of King Subhala. He loved his sister Gandhari the most. He would do anything for her happiness. Knowing that his sister going to marry a man who is blinded by birth, pained his heart. He didn't want such a life for his beloved sister.

Gandhari was a most beautiful girl with righteous and virtuous nature. Her beauty was captivating. When she learned about her marriage, she was so happy, that she thought she was going to marry Pandu. But later she learned that she was engaged to Dhritrashtra she was heartbroken. She was a simple girl, who never wished for a throne. Just like a common woman she wished to have a lovable husband and a lovable family. She was always frightened about the dark. Now she is going to spend the rest of her life with a man who saw only dark throughout his entire life, broke her heart.

Bhishma brought Gandhari to Hasthinapur. The marriage preparation began. Dhritrashtra was happy to marry such a beautiful girl, even though he cannot see her face he wished to see the entire world through her eyes. He wanted her to be his eyes. Without looking at her, he fell in love with her character and her devotion.

On the day of their marriage, Gandari reached her Marriage hall blindfolded. Everyone was shocked by her actions. But she justified her actions by saying, "My husband is blind. I wish not to see the world he cannot see." Hearing this angered Dhritrashtra. He didn't say anything during the marriage. After their marriage customs were over. Dhritrashtra shouted at her "You, Do you know how much I loved to see this world through your eyes. Everyone, everyone told me you have the most beautiful eyes the world had ever seen. But you, blindfolded yourself. You, Gandhari made me blind once again." 

Hearing this Gandhari broke down. "Listen to me carefully Gandhari, I do not love you anymore as you made me blind once again." saying this Dhritrashtra left their chamber. She felt pity for her fate.

Soon the day of Dhritrashtra's coronation came. The entire kingdom was looked like in festival. Palace was arranged with flowers. Gandhari's family attended the coronation. The neighboring kingdoms were also invited. Sathyavathi was happy that after so many years the heir is going to ascend the throne of Hasthinapur. 

When the coronation starts, Vidura, now the advisor of the king said, "Stop it."

The entire courtiers and guest were shocked.