THE CURSE

When Maharaj Pandu and Maharani Kunthi reached Hastinapur, they were welcomed by warm hearts. They got blessings from the Kuru elders. Kunthi was happy to be wedded to such a family. Gandhari accepted her as her own sister. They bonded very soon. The entire kingdom rejoiced at their wedding. They loved and respected their Maharaj and Maharani. Dhritarashtra wholeheartedly accepted Kunthi as his sister-in-law and Maharani of Hastinapur.

A few days after their marriage, Maharaj Pandu was preparing to aid the kingdom of Madra in war.  It was his first war after his marriage, so Kunthi was restless. He assured her, "Kunthi, you have married a Maharathi. Do not worry about me. I will be back with a victory. Till then wait for me, my maharani." He left for the war.

Days went by.....

Maharaj Pandu was returning to Hastinapur with a victory. Everyone is celebrating his victory. Kunthi was preparing Aarthi to welcome him. When the palace gate opened her beautiful eyes were searching for her husband, with a wide smile on her face. However, her smile gradually decreases when she sees him. He was dressed as a groom, and there was a wedding garland around his neck. Her hands started trembling.

Everyone was shocked to see him. Dhritarashtra sensed something wrong and asked the guard what happened. Before he replied, the guards announced, "To thank our Maharaj Pandu, The king of Madra has wedded his sister Rajakumari Madri to our Maharaj." 

There was a moment of silence. Slowly Ambalika came forward and smiled at her second daughter-in-law, Madri. "Having more than one wife is not new in the Kshatriya family. Though this is an unexpected marriage, I welcome you wholeheartedly Madri. Kunthi comes forward and takes Aarthi to your husband and your sister." she said.  Kunthi stood frozen. Gandhari felt sorry for her sister. Finally, Kunthi came forward and take Aarthi to her husband and the second daughter-in-law of the Kuru Clan, she refused to meet Pandu's eyes. Her eyes were filled with tears of pain and anguish. Pandu was heartbroken to see her in such a state.

After the wedding ceremony got over. Kunthi went to her chamber and shut the door and started crying. She was crying so hard, that she did not even hear the door opening. Pandu entered and placed his hand on her shoulders. Kunthi refused to look at his face. He said, "Kunthi, please you know how I love you and how much affection I have for you. You were the best thing that happened to me." Kunthi with a calm voice asked him, "Is this what you said to her when you got married to her."

He said, "Kunthi, please, King Shalya is a good friend of mine. When he offered his sister's hand, I couldn't refuse him. You know about the politics Kunthi. The best alliance for a kingdom is only through marriage. I married her because I had no choice. Now she is your sister and my wife. Taking care of her is both of our duty and she is much younger than you. I assure you, she will be a great sister to you." Unable to console her Pandu left the Chamber.

Later Madri came to Kunthi and got her blessing. Even though she was heartbroken by Pandu's action, she was kind to Madri. "Sister, I know my marriage is thunderstruck for you. I am sorry for that. But Arya said that you will be a sister to me and you will take good care of us. And he also praised me that I am more beautiful and younger than you, soon I will win everyone's heart including yours." 

Madri was more beautiful than Kunthi. She has flawless beauty. Kunthi accepted her as her sister. But her heart was in pain. 

After some days, Satyavathi noticed that Kunthi is still in heartbreak. She talked to her daughters-in-law about her concern about Kunthi. " I am too worried about her, Rajamatha. She was in so much love with Pandu. This Marriage completely left her in dark. Sharing her husband with someone else is hard for her. And Madri is so young and she is not so patient and mature as her. We should create some bonding between them, Rajamata." said Ambika.

Satyavathi prepared a hunting party for Pandu and his wives. Pandu accepted it and took his two wives to the forest for hunting. After some time Madri saw a beautiful Deer following a Doe. She asked Pandu, "Arya look at the Deer, it looks so beautiful, and look at its antlers. Please, can you hunt it for me?" With a smile, Pandu said, "Sure Madri. As you wish."

But Kunthi stopped him, "Arya, no. It looks like a special deer it is not wise to hunt it. It has a different Aura around it. Please don't do it." Pandu had thought about it. Madri with impatient behavior, "Sister, if you are so jealous that Arya is hunting for me. Then I am sorry, he is also my husband and I have the right to ask anything from him."

Kunthi tried to reason with her but in vain. Pandu assured Madri that he will get the deer for her. He followed the tracks and find them behind a bush. He aimed an arrow at it and fired. He heard a human voice.

With a horror-struck face Pandu, Kunthi and Madri went and saw that the deer and doe were Sage KINDAMA and his wife, who in the form of deer and doe were making love to each other. Pandu's arrow struck both of them and Sage kindama's wife had died.

Pandu dropped his weapon and fell on Sage Kindama's feet, "O holy one, What have I done. I am unaware that you were in the form of deer."

Sage Kindama with his life leaving his body, looked at his wife's beautiful lifeless face. He turned and looked at Maharaj Pandu with a fit of burning anger inside. "You killed my wife. Maharaj Pandu of Hastinapur I CURSE YOU, WHEN YOU TRY TO MAKE LOVE TO YOUR WIVES YOU WILL DIE." 

Sage Kindama died with his wife in his arms. Pandu, Kunthi, and Madri were dumbfounded by his curse.