AGONY

Subhadra rooted to her place, her eyes were wide and her face was colorless. The woman standing in front of her is not her sister, she is not the bold fierce Chakravarthini of Indraprastha.

Draupadi's saree was torn here and there, her face held a bruise, and her eyes were red and puffy. There were heavy bags under her eyes. Her ever-groomed hair was disheveled.  Subhadra's eyes started to water but she could not bring herself to speak or move she was rooted to the spot.

Draupadi does not even acknowledge her presence, she blurs passed her. Only the screams of the palace maids brought back the sense of Subhadra. She turned and ran after Draupadi.

"Sist... Sis...Sister wait, what happened?" Subhadra was choking on her words. Her eyes were tearing, but still, she went after her. Right before she can enter her chambers. Draupadi slammed the doors and bolted. 

Subhadra shouted and pleaded to Draupadi to open the doors but she could not hear any sound. 

A minute later, she heard a loud wail from inside. It was the most broken and helpless sound she had ever heard. Subhadra could not form any words anymore, hearing her sister's wail she started to cry louder and slid down to the ground, and continued her banging.

Her handmaidens were clueless, looking at the scenario they went into action. Without waiting for any instruction they went to Upapandavas, Suthanu, and Abhimanyu and put them all to bed saying Pandavas and Draupadi would arrive early tomorrow. Abhimanyu was the toughest one, once he heard they would be back early he was eager to see his father and his mother Draupadi. But Suthanu handled him.

Soon the kids were settled in their chambers, guards were placed to look after them. Thankfully their chambers were far from Draupadi's so they couldn't hear her wails.

It was around midnight when Draupadi's handmaiden Varshitha reached the palace, she raced to find Subhadra at the doors of Draupadi's chambers.

At seeing her, Subhadra stood and held her hand requesting to tell her everything that had happened. As Varshitha narrates the incident Subhadra went still.

How could they? How could they stoop such low? She felt ashamed for the men in her family. 

She sat down and felt her heart breaking millions of pieces for her sister. She wiped her tears and ordered her guards to send a messenger to the Panchala Kingdom for King Durupad and bring them to Indraprastha. 

Varshitha stopped her saying that, Mother Kunthi had already sent someone, and King Durupad along with Dhrishtadyumna and Shikandini were on their way to Indraprastha.

It was six in the morning, and not even a single morning routine had taken place. Subhadra heard a horse neighing at the palace doors indicating the arrival of Pandavas yet she did not get up from her place to greet them. Pandavas went straight to Draupadi's chamber only to find Subhadra at the entrance sitting with her tears-streaked eyes. 

Subhadra lifted her head and looked at them. Gone were the pride men, all she could see were 5 weak men who were bound by their dharma which made them fail to protect their wife. 

Arjuna went near her and squatted down, "How is she, Subhadra?"

She turned to look at the man, whose nose was puffed and eyes were red, filled with guilt and remorse. She couldn't even bring herself to scream at him. 

"How do you think Arya?  Sister not even opened the door once, it's been hours."

No matter how many times they've tried Draupadi did not open her doors.

A few hours later...

"DRAUPADI...DRAUPADI...." King Durupad's voice was booming down the hallway. 

He reached her chambers and looked at Pandavas and Subhadra, behind him were Dhristadyumna and Shikandini. 

Shikandini went to Subhadra and asked her about Draupadi to which she shook her head and started sobbing. 

"YOU.. YOU ALL 5 SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF CALLING YOURSELF OF A MAN." King Durupad sneered at them.

When the messenger informed him of the event of the court. Durupad blood boiled, he couldn't even imagine the scenario. He wanted to cut off the heads of those sinners, he was about to prepare the army for war but Shikandini talked him out of it. 

She made him understand that Draupadi needed him the most not the Kauravas. 

"Arjuna, you won her hand in the swayamwar, your family made her marry 5 men. My daughter suffered more in your hands than in others. Is that not enough for you all? Why did such injustice befall her? What has she ever done to you." King Durupad's voice cracked a little. 

Pandavas could not answer him, they hung their head refusing to meet her eyes. 

"A day will dawn where all of you sinners need to pay," Durupad's eyes began to moist. He started to knock on Draupadi's chamber door but there was no movement inside.

Eventually he slide down in front of her chamber, a lone tear escaped his eyes and making its way down.

Dhrishtadyumna crouched beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder, "Father, Draupadi is stronger than everyone of us, she'll rise again."

"Why...Why she had to endure all this humiliation and endless suffering. Where were the gods when she was about to disrobe?"

At that time a man came, with peacock feather in his crown. Arjuna was the first one to notice him, "Madhava," he whispered his name like he has no strength left in him. 

In his heart, Arjuna knew that it was Krishna who saved Draupadi in the court. When Durupad asked where were the gods, he knew he was with Draupadi. As always...