KARNA'S DETERMINATION

Seeing the chariots speeding away in the streets Karna's heart became heavy. Since his childhood, Karna was always interested in learning. He was different from the boys of his age. He had extraordinary abilities. He always feels drawn to the art of Archery. His father Adhiratha, is the charioteer for Pitamaha Bhishma. He was Pitaamaha Bhishma's fearless Charioteer. Whenever Adhiratha took him to teach Karna how to ride a chariot. He looks at the young princes who were practicing Archery. He even made himself a bow and train himself in the woods.

Whenever he expresses his love for learning Archery his father would say, "Karna we are not Kshatriyas. Only they can go to Gurukul and learn these arts dear."

Society has its way. Only Kshatriya and the Brahmins are allowed to go to Gurukula. The Low borns are never meant for great things. But who knows, Karna is not an ordinary low-born boy. He is the son of Surya Deva. The one who shines brightly on the sky, whose light and heat are the source of all life on this earth. 

With a heavy heart and tears in his eyes. Karna returned home. 

He made a decision. He wanted to prove to the world that greatness does not come from birth. He wanted to prove to the world that he can be a great archer without being Kshatriya or a Brahmin. He decided to learn the art of Archery.

"Karna, where have you been my dear. Come let's eat." his mother hurriedly arranged the lunch she prepared. Karna was standing still. He does not move. His mother noticed him. "What happened my dear?" 

"Radha, he must be upset that he couldn't attend the Gurukula." his father said. "Why father? Why not? Why can't I learn Archery? Am I not meant for great things just because I am a sutaputra (son of a charioteer ) Why can't I become a great archer of all time?" Karna asked, his eyes were red and filled with determination. "I want to prove to the world that I can be the greatest archer of all time. I want to learn Archery, father." 

Looking at his determination his father sighed. "Karna, I know our words won't make you give up on archery. Then so be it. Go and find yourself a teacher who will teach you Archery. Who will teach a sutaputra."  

Radha trembled at his words, "Arya what are you saying? He is just a kid, he doesn't know what he is saying. He..." Adhiratha silenced her. "Let him go Radha. Let him see how the world treats a low born with dreams," saying it his father left.

Karna packed his things and some food for the travel. He got his blessings from his mother and left.

A few days later......

The Chariots reached Dronacharya's Gurukula. It was dusk. The princes are very tired of the long journey. Dronacharya had already made arrangements for the princes to stay. "Son, come here." He called his son. A boy with a gem-like thing on his forehead came. "This is my son ASHWATTHAMA, he will show your way to the huts." He left them with his son. He showed everyone their respective huts. 

Soon the night falls. The Kauravas couldn't sleep because of the mosquitos. And they never slept on the floor before. They always sleep on a mattress covered with a silk quilt. But Pandavas slept peacefully because they were raised in a hut in the forest. 

Days passed. 

Kauravas slowly adapted to their new lifestyle. Pandavas and Kauravas started learning all the things they need to learn.  Soon Arjuna became Dronacharya's favorite student. He was exceptionally talented in Archery. Duryodhana and Bheema were strong in Gada. Over time, Duryodhana and Ashwatthama become good friends. Due to his friendship with Duryodhana, Ashwatthama started to dislike Pandavas.

Arjuna was Dronacharya's favorite student not only because he was good at Archery. Because of his devotedness towards the Art and also towards his Guru. Dronacharya wanted to make Arjuna the greatest Archer of all time. He wanted his student Arjuna to be the greatest Archer the world has ever seen. He promised him that he will make him the greatest Archer.

On the other hand, Karna did not find any teacher to teach him the Art of Archery. He spent some time with the forest dwellers. He learned to hunt but that is not what his heart desired. He constantly traveled to find a teacher. But no one was willing to teach a boy who is a son of a Charioteer. 

One day while Dronacharya was writing a letter in his hut, his son came in and told him that a boy was waiting to see him. Dronacharya asked him to send him in. Karna entered the hut. Dronacharya looked at his face. His face had a glow like the sun. He greeted Dronacharya and got his blessings. "Son, who are you? And Why are you here?" he asked Karna. "Gurudeva. I am Karna son of Adhiratha. My father is Pitamaha Bhishma's charioteer. I am here to learn Archery from you Gurudeva." 

Dronacharya was puzzled. "Son of a charioteer. Then why you are here to learn Archery. Son, don't you know only Kshatriyas and Brahmins are allowed to learn this. Not you" 

Once again rejection. Karna was tired. His heart knew this would be his answer and yet he came here with hopes and dreams. "Gurudeva, I have always felt drawn to the art of Archery. I wanted to be a great archer. Does it have something to do with my birth?" 

"Son, that is the way of this world. I cannot teach you Archery. No one will teach you archery because you are not a Kshatriya or  Brahmin. Now leave." said Dronacharya.

Karna's heart was burning with pain. He was rejected just because he was born to a charioteer. Is it his fault?  He left Dronacharya's gurukul.

Finally, he made a decision. He knew by saying he is a sutaputra, he can't learn. No one will teach him. So he disguised himself as a Brahmin.

After a long journey, he reached the mountain where Parasurama lives. 

When Parasurama saw his face he had a feeling that he was unique. Karna greeted him and said that he wanted to learn Archery from him.

Parasurama said, "Son, I retired from teaching a long time ago." Hearing those words Karna lost all of his hopes. 

"But my heart wishes to teach you. There is something unique about you Karna that makes me want to teach you. "

And there he become the student of Parasurama himself.