MAHARAJ PANDU

The entire court was confused. Bhishma approached Vidura and asked him why he stopped the coronation. Vidura said, "Pitamaha, Maharaj is a person who guides the people of his kingdom. But Brother Dhritarashtra is a blind man. How can a blind man can guide his people towards prosperity?" Dhritarashtra was angered by Vidura's words.

Everyone present in the court accepted his proposal. Soon everyone wanted Pandu to ascend the throne. But Pandu refused to take the throne. How can he ascend the throne when he has an elder brother. 

"Attention everyone," said Sathyavathi. "What Vidura had said is true. We cannot ascend Dhritarashtra on the throne." she turned to Pandu. "Today coronation will happen, not for Dhritarashtra but Pandu" Pandu hesitated but he had no choice.

The coronation happened splendidly and Pandu ascends the throne of Hasthinapur. Dhritarashtra was heartbroken and embarrassed, he went to his chamber and shut his doors. He did not come out for days nor did he let anyone inside, not even Gandhari.

Maharaj Pandu ruled Hasthinapur with Dharma. No one under his rule felt hungry or in poverty. The people of Hasthinapur lived happily. They worshiped Pandu. Sathyavathi felt pity for Dhritarashtra but seeing how Pandu rule Hasthinapur put her at peace.

No matter how many times Pandu tried to talk to his elder brother, Dhritarashtra didn't even wish to hear his voice. 

After Days...

Dhritarashtra accepted the fact that Pandu is the one who is worthy of the throne. He came out of his depression and went to Pandu. When Pandu saw his brother after many days, he went and fell on his feet and asked for his forgiveness. Dhritarashtra said, "Pandu, I am the one who should seek forgiveness. The way I reacted is intolerance. Yes, I was indeed heartbroken. You know right, I never let myself stop from my blindness. I always wanted to become the Maharaj. But Pandu, my love for you is far greater than my desire for the throne. I am sorry Pandu." he held his younger brother's hand and sought his forgiveness.

Seeing the reunion of the brothers melted everyone's heart. Vidura approached Dhritarashtra and touched his feet and said, "Brother, please forgive me. I had no right to talk in court before I was appointed as an advisor. That's why I couldn't speak before. I never intended to insult you. Please brother forgive me." Dhritarashtra caressed Vidura's head and said "Vidura, I know that you are the wisest one among us. Yes, I was angered by your words, I won't deny that fact. But you are a form of Dharma deva himself. I held no grudge against you." The three brothers shared a tight hug. 

From that day, Dhritarashtra attended the court regularly. He was engaged in all king's duties and guide Pandu in a tough situations. Seeing all three brothers working well on the welfare of the people, Bhishma felt happy and he remembered his father.

But Gandhari's brother Shakuni had other plans.

Soon Maharaj Pandu conquered the territories of the Kingdoms of Sindhu, Anga, Trigarta, Kashi, Kalinga, Magada, etc, He expanded the Kuru clan's supremacy over all kings. And Hasthinapur becomes an indestructible kingdom. His fame was spread all over the world.

One day while Maharaj Pandu, Dhritarashtra, Vidura, Kripacharya, and others discussing political matters, a guard announced the arrival of Rajamatha Sathyavathi. When Sathyavathi came in, everyone greeted her. She went to Pandu and said, "Pandu, You have been invited to the kingdom of Kunti for the Svayamvara of their princess." "But Rajamatha is it now really necessary to attend this Svayamvar, we have plenty of duties to do," Pandu replied. " A king's duty is never completed till his last breath. Pandu you must get married. And the daughter of the King Kunthiboja will be a perfect match for you." said Bhishma. 

"Yes, Pandu. I have heard a lot about her. She was the biological daughter of King Shurasena of the Yadava clan, who is the ruler of the kingdom Mathura, and the Naga princess Marisha. Kunthi has a brother named Vasudeva. King Shrurasena gave her to his childless cousin Kunthiboja of the kingdom Kunthi. Her birth name was Pritha. But she is known as KUNTHI. She was praised for her patience, dutiful and foresighted nature. She will be the best match for you. Together you will rule this kingdom with Dharma. You attend the svayamvar. Me, Vidura, and others take care of your duties while you are gone." said Dhritarashtra.

With everyone persuading him, Maharaj Pandu finally decided to attend the Svayamvar. While he was getting ready for his travel, Gandhari came to see him. He went and touched her feet and got her blessings. "Pandu I heard that you are attending the Svayamvar of Kunthi. I heard a lot about her. Win her hand and bring her as my sister. Will you do that." she asked him. Maharaj Pandu said he will bring her home as his wife.

 Soon Maharaj Pandu left for Svayamvar.

After his departure, the courtiers were doing their routine work. When Dhritarashtra returned to his chamber, he sensed his brother-in-law Shakuni. "Shakuni, what are you doing in my chamber? Your sister is not living here. Her chambers in the East wing of this palace." saying this he started to get ready for a bath. "Soon your brother Pandu will bring a Maharani to this kingdom isn't it," said Shakuni. Dhritarashtra  said, "Yes, My brother will win her hand and bring her home as his wife and this kingdom's maharani."  Shakuni laughed mockingly. His behavior enraged Dhritarashtra, "Is it funny for you Shakuni? Get out of my room." he shouted at him. Shakuni said, "Do not mistake me, brother-in-law. I am sad that, even though my sister will bear a hundred sons, they all going to be servants for Maharaj Pandu's heir. What an unlucky woman she is? Good thing she is blindfolded because she doesn't have to look at how well her sons serve your brother's heirs." Shakuni left his chamber after saying this.

Dhritarashtra stood there rooted. That's how Shakuni put his first drop of poison in Dhritarashtra's heart.