INDRAPRASTHA

The Pandavas and Draupadi are standing in front of the Khandava forest. 

When Pandavas and Draupadi went back to Hasthinapur after marriage. Though Pandava's return brought peace to everyone, Draupadi's marriage to five Pandavas made everyone dumbfounded. Then came the real crisis. Duryodhana and Shakuni used their marriage against Pandavas and refused to make him Crown Prince, the wife of the Crown Prince shares herself with four other men. When the situation was worsened Vidura suggested the idea which shocked Dhritarashtra.

Dividing the Kingdom. 

Yes, he suggests dividing the kingdom and giving one half to Pandavas and another half to Kauravas.  Though Dhritarashtra was unwilling to do it, he accepted the proposal despite Duryodhana's opposition. He appointed Yudhishthira as King of the Khandavaprastha. He also agreed to give One lakh cows and One lakh gold coins to the new kingdom. 

People were surprised because the Khandava forest is not a plain land but a dense forest that is the habitat place of the Naga tribe. Takshaka was the king of the Naga tribe who does not allow any human to make the forest their home. But Pandavas accepted and promised to make the place habitual for humans. They were ready to face anything with Kunthi, Pitamaha, and Vidura by their side. 

As much as Pitamah Bhishma wanted to leave with Pandavas, he could not do it due to his vow. He took an oath to serve the throne of Hasthinapur till his last breath.  He always wanted Yudhishthira to ascend the throne, as he was the eldest and can rule the Kingdom with just and Dharma.  But fate has other plans. As for Kunthi, Dhritarashtra made her stay in Hasthinapur as she's the Daughter-in-law of the Kuru family. Vidura has an important role as the minister of Hasthinapur. 

Pandavas was left to rule their kingdom alone, without the guidance of their elders. Pandavas and Kunthi were devastated, they were sure that this decision can be taken by Maharaj only upon the influence of Duryodhana and Shakuni.

On the day of the departure. Everyone was gathered in front of the palace to send off the Pandavas and Draupadi. She was in tears to leave Kunthi behind.  "Draupadi, from now on you have to care for my sons. You are the sole thread that can keep them together. You have to guide them and take care of them. You have a very big responsibility on your shoulder, my dear." Kunthi said sobbingly. After taking blessings from their elders Pandavas and Draupadi left Hasthinapur. 

Krishna has also reached Khandava forest to help the Pandavas build their new city. 

"Madhava, Nagaraj Takshaka is not ready to negotiate with us. How are we supposed to build our city?" Arjuna asked him.

"Partha, this forest was supposed to satisfy Agni deva's hunger. His hunger can only be satisfied by devouring this place. But Indra deva is the protecting deity, he won't anything happen to this forest. You have to help Agni deva, by doing that you can build your city and he can satisfy his hunger." 

"But what about the creatures living there?"

"They will have enough time to clear out and make a home out from here."

With Krishna's guidance, Arjuna set the forest on fire. When Indra deva comes to know about it. He makes rain above the forest to protect it. But Arjuna was adding layers and layers so that rain won't put off the fire. This invoked Indra deva to attack Arjuna, both had a fierce battle. The Naga also participated in the battle. But Arjuna fends off everyone. Indra deva injured Arjuna by attacking with his weapon Vajra. But he never give up, he continued to fight him and the Nagas and finally won them. At last, the forest was destroyed by the fire.

Arjuna promised Indra that their city will accept the Nagas to live with them. And their city will be named after him, INDRAPRASTHA. Indra, who was happy about his celestial son's valor blessed him and went from there. Agni deva thanked Arjuna for his help and he gave him a gift, a bow that matches Arjuna's skill, It was blessed by the devas. It was silver in color with celestial gems embedded. It was GANDIVA.

Gandiva bow was made by God Bhrama. It is said that this bow will punish the unjust and the wicked. The bow consisted of 108 celestial strings, making it the most indestructible bow in the 3 worlds, it was worshiped by the celestials. 

Pandavas build Indraprastha with the help of Viswakarma. Viswakarma is known as the divine architect, he built cities in Lanka, Dwaraka, etc. The Maya asura who helped the Nagas with the illusion to keep humans out from Khandavas surrenders himself. He agreed to help Pandavas by crafting an illusion court at their palace in Indraprastha.

This incident became a root cause of vengeance in Takshaka. He lost his wife in the forest fire made by Arjuna, Takshaka's wife sacrificed herself to save her son Aswasena from the fire. Takshaka vowed to avenge his wife's death. 

Indraprastha is praised to be one of the most beautiful cities and it was located near the banks of Yamuna. Duryodhana and Shakuni were startled when they heard about their city. Never had they imagined Pandavas achieving so much in such a short time. 

As promised Dhritarashtra gives away One lakh cows and One lakh gold coins. Before the cows reach Indraprastha, Takshaka steals those cows. 

This news reached Arjuna before other Pandavas, so he decided to deal with it alone. When he gets ready to rescue the cows, he remembered his Gandiva was in Draupadi's chamber. Earlier, Draupadi who was captivated by his bow asked him to let her keep it for while but she never returned it before she and Yudhishthira retired to the chambers. 

Arjuna knows well that now Yudhishthira will be in Draupadi's chamber if he entered her chambers, he will be exiled for years. Arjuna is willing to go into exile to save their kingdom. 

He entered her chambers, shocking both Draupadi and Yudhishthira. He took his Gandiva and left without explaining anything as there is no time. When Yudhisthira followed him he saw Arjuna get on a horse and left Indraprastha hurriedly. Later when everyone came to know about the cow's abduction by Takshaka, Draupadi is filled with remorse, and Arjuna had to enter her chamber because of her. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi readers!!!

  Hope you enjoy this chapter. Please vote and comment.