KARNA - THE KING OF ANGA

The Chariots reached the outskirts of Hasthinapur in the evening. Tomorrow morning they will reach the palace. Their Home. Everyone was so eager to meet their parents and elders. 

"Brother Bheema, eat lightly. Tomorrow we will have a big feast in the palace." Nakula teased his brother. The other Pandavas started laughing. 

After their dinner, everyone gets ready for sleep. 

Drona saw a horse coming towards their camp. It's a royal guard. He came bearing Maharaj's letter. He hands over the letter to Dronacharya. After reading the letter his brow frowns.

Not as a teacher, but as a citizen of Hasthinapur, Dronacharya always wanted Yudhishtira to ascend the throne of Hasthinapur. He was the firstborn. And he is the son of the King. Maharaj Dhritarashtra was like an Interim King. However, Pandu is the one who got coronated. 

The letter from the Maharaj is a conspiracy for making Duryodhan as the King of Hasthinapur. Dronacharya knows well, that Shakuni, uncle of Duryodhana can go to extreme measures to make him the king. And he knows deep inside his heart Dhritarashtra wants Duryodhana to ascend the throne. 

Dronacharya went to tents and announced, "Tomorrow, we are not entering the City. Our arrival to the palace has been delayed." Everyone is shocked to hear this. However, Duryodhan already knows why. Arjuna stepped forward, "Gurudeva, why is it delayed? Is there any reason?" With a sigh, he replied, "A competition has been proposed, among the princes. You will be showing your talents in the Arena. Citizens of Hasthinapur are going to be gathered and watch their prince's strength, and talents. Whoever wins this competition will be Crown Prince of Hasthinapur. The winner will ascend the throne after Our Maharaj."

There was silence. A smirk on Duryodhana's face. And a knowing look on Pandavas' face. They understood what was happening around them. Arjuna gives a nod to Bheema who understood the same.

The preparations were going on. The competition will be judged by Guru Dronacharya, Pitamaha Bheeshma, and Kripacharya. Pandavas know that the competition will be conducted fairly and justly, but they do not expect Kauravas to play fair. They know Kauravas will do anything to put the crown on Duryodhana's head. For three days Kauravas and Pandavas stayed at the camp which was made on the outskirts of Hasthinapur. 

The day of the competition came. The Hasthinapur city looks like a festival. Every citizen is gathered in the arena. All Kuru elders were also gathered. The rules for the competition were made. The competition begins with the sound of the Conch.

The first one to enter the Arena was Duryodhan. His entry was a grand one. His opponent was one of the Pandavas, Nakula. His choice of weapon was Sword. Though he's good with it, he is not a match for him. Soon he got defeated. 

The next one to enter the Arena was Sahadeva. And he was defeated soon too. 

Pitamaha Bheeshma understood the situation. Ashwatthama who is the one choosing the opponents is determined to make the competition a battle between Kauravas and Pandavas. Soon all the Kuru elders understood that. But no one can stand against it. 

No brothers of Duryodhana would fight against him. So it is obvious that this is their opportunity to make Pandavas weak in front of their citizens and family.

Soon Yudhishthira and even Bheema were defeated. Defeating Bheema is a difficult one. So Duryodhana enraged him with words, resulting in him fighting harder and getting him disqualified. 

Even though her sons get defeated, kunthi's heart was filled with the joy of seeing her sons after a long time. Sanjaya was standing on the side of Dhritarashtra explains him the entire competition. He got immense pride in his son's valor and strength. Dushala was explaining the competition to Gandhari, who was happy about her son's valor. 

The last Pandava to enter is Arjuna. Duryodhana had no idea how to defeat him. Because he is not Patient like Yudhishtra and not short-tempered like Bheema. Defeating him will be really harder than Bheema. The only thing about Arjuna, he got immense pride in his Archery skill. Of course, he will have because there is no one as great as Arjuna. Little do they know about Karna, but they are about to. 

The fight between Arjuna and Duryodhana was an intense one. However, Arjuna had the upper hand, looks like he will be the one winning the competition. Ashwatthama and Shakuni were desperately thinking of a way of defeating him.

Arjuna had trapped Duryodhana, he was moments away from victory. When an arrow released Duryodhana. Everyone in the arena got shocked. Even Arjuna was surprised. Whose arrow was it?

To everyone's surprise, Karna entered the arena. He is not in the brahmin disguise anymore. Adhiratha and Radha instantly recognized him. And Guru Drona too. But his surprise is the bow he is wielding. The Vijaya Bow. 

Guru Drona, Kripacharya, and Pitamaha Bheeshma got down from their seats. Kripacharya went to Karna, "Son, who are you? And why did you intervene in the competition. This competition is only for the Kuru princes. Are you a prince?" he asked. Karna folded his hands and greeted them. "I am not a Royal blood, Guru. But a warrior like them. I intervened in this competition to prove myself equal to the prince. I am not less of a warrior. I am Karna, son of Adhiratha, the charioteer of Pitamaha Bheeshma. I am a student of Parasurama. This bow is given to me by him for the competence he saw inside me." "The Vijaya bow. Did Parasurama himself give you this?" Guru Drona asked in astonishment. "Yes, Guru Deva. After you rejected me. I surrendered myself to Parasurama guru. He taught me Archery." he speaks with pride.

With a sigh, Kripacharya speaks, "Son, you may be a warrior. But this competition is only for Royal blood. You are a sutaputra. You are not even eligible to compete." 

Anger rose in Karna, "Just because I was born to a Charioteer does not make me any less. I have the same talents and valor as they have. For how many years will this society follow this stereotype."

Duryodhana who was observing all this came up with an idea. "Uncle, do you think he may be the one who can defeat Arjuna in Archery." Shakuni understand him. "Make him your ally, Duryodhana."

"ENOUGH" shouted Pitamaha Bheeshma, who got fed up with the conversation between Karna, Kripacharya, and Guru Drona. "You, Karna, have no royal lineage. I am sure you should have tricked Parasurama to teach you. He never teaches a sutaputra. Now get out of this arena. We have a competition to run."

Karna couldn't speak anymore. He bowed his head down. Adhiratha and Radha were heartbroken, even though they did not want him to learn archery, how could they tolerate the humiliation of their son's talent? But what else can they do other than watch it? 

"Is that only the problem here pitamaha?" Duryodhan speaks. "If it is the royal lineage you care so much about. Then let it be." He stood before his father, Maharaj, "A real talent does not depend on the blood he carries. The person standing here has valor, competence, and talents, just like us. If the royal title he lacks, then with permission from my father, I would like to name him the King of Anga. I am giving our part of the land to him as a gift for his valor and talent."

There was a huge mumur all around them. Everyone was surprised by his proposal. Dhritarashtra understood the situation. He wanted Duryodhan to ascend the throne, this boy could help him. And he is talented as Arjuna. And most importantly he had never said no to his son. Dhritarashtra stood from his royal chair, "As my son said, talent never depends on the blood one carries. It is one's ability. I, Maharaj of Hasthinapur, hereby announce Karna as the King of Anga."