AN HEIR TO THE THRONE

Years after the death of Maharaj Shantanu, Bhishma made Chitrangada ascend the throne of Hasthinapur. Just like his father and his half-brother, Chitrangada proved to be a fit ruler. He was a great warrior. However, he did not last long. The King of Gandharvas who had the same name Chitrangada fought with him, just because they both share the same name. In the battle, Chitrangada of Hasthinapur was defeated and killed. 

Satyavathi was heartbroken to lose her son. As she already lost her husband at such a young age. She couldn't bear the loss. Later Bhishma made Vichitravirya ascend the throne. But Vichitravirya was not a great warrior like his brothers or a fit ruler. But Bhishma, Kripacharya, and others had his back. 

One day Sathyavathi met Bhishma in his training ground. He folded his hands and greeted her. "Bhishma, now that Vichitravirya ascends the throne he needs a queen by his side," said Satyavathi. "Yes, Rajamatha I too thought about that. We had received an invitation from Maharaj Kashya, the king of the Kasi kingdom. He is conducting Svayamvar for his three daughters. I think Vichitravirya should attend it."

Satyavathi hesitated for a minute and said "About that, Bhishma I want you to attend the Svayamvar and bring that three princesses to our kingdom. I want three of them to marry our Vichitravirya."  Hearing it Bhishma looked at her confused. "But Rajamatha, that's abduction. This is a svayamvar. He has to attend and win those princesses' hands. How can a celibate man like me can attend." Sathyavathi looked at him with her sharp eyes. "I didn't ask your opinion in this matter Bhishma. I ordered you to bring those princesses. Do not question me." saying that she left. Bhishma stood there with his head bowed down.

On the day of the svayamvar, the three princesses were getting ready. The eldest daughter was AMBA, she was in love with King Shalva. She was about to put a garland around his neck and make him her husband. The second daughter was Ambika and the youngest daughter is Ambalika. All three princess were different versions of beauty. When the Svayamvar started, the guard announced the arrival of Gangaputra Bhishma. The entire court was confused as he was a man of celibacy and yet attending a svayamwar. He directly went to King Kashya and asked for the hands of all three of his daughter's hand for marriage to Vichitravirya. The whole world knew Bhishma's capability. King Kashya was dumbfounded, but still, he kept his army ready. They fought with Bhishma and he defeated them all. King Shalva was also defeated by him. He abducted the three princesses and brought them to Hastinapur. Sathyavathi was so happy and soon the marriage preparation began. But Amba refused to marry Vichitravirya.

She said that she is in love with King Shalva. After her confession, Vichitravirya refused to marry her. He asked Bhishma to send her to her lover. Bhishma was guilty of what he had done. He arranged everything for her and sent her to King Shalva. 

When she reached him, he refused to accept her. Because Bhishma won her fair and square, so he cannot marry a girl who was won by another man. Enraged by all of this. Amba went back to Hastinapur.

Meanwhile, Vichitravirya married Ambika and Ambalika. He was equally devoted to both of them. He loved them equally. Even though they had been abducted, both the princess was happy with their husband. 

When Amba reached Hasthinapur, she demanded Bhishma to marry as she was refused by her lover. But Bhishma rejected her because he took celibacy. Angered by him, "You, Bhishma you are the one who destroyed my life. Remember I will be the cause of your death." saying that she left Hasthinapur. She went to various kingdoms and sought help from them to defeat him. But no one came to her aid. Finally, she went to Parasurama. The one who taught Bhishma the warfare.

She sought justice for what Bhishma had done to her life. Parasurama said, "Amba the revenge you seek will not happen in this birth of yours. You will be the cause of Bhishma's death one day. And it will happen in your next birth."

Amba doesn't wish to live anymore. So she killed herself.

7 years went by...

Still Ambika and Ambalika had no child. But both were loved unconditionally by their husband. One day Vichitravirya became very sick. The Physician found that he has some disease. Before they could diagnose. He died. Just like his brother, he died childlessly. They were no heir to the throne of Hastinapur.

The entire Kuru Clan felt like coming to an end. Satyavathi thought all these things happened to her because of what she did to Bhishma. Because of her, he took celibacy. She felt like her family paying for her mistake. 

She went to Bhishma who was looking over the river Ganges with a broken heart. She said "Bhishma" He turned and looked at his stepmother, he folded her hands and greeted her. She continued "Bhishma, I feel that I am paying for the sin for what I did to you. Look today our entire lineage has ended. Bhishma only you can save us. Break your celibacy. Marry a princess and give an heir to the throne. As your stepmother, I ask you this." She started sobbing.

"Rajamatha, do not worry. I have already spoken with Kripacharya and have a solution to this situation," he said. Satyavathi was surprised and asked what was it. " We will get an heir to the throne," he said. "But Bhishma, how?" she asked. "By Niyoga, Rajamatha. It is a practice where a revered man will be asked to give an heir, when a kingdom doesn't have any heir. For our Kuru Clan, it is your eldest son VYASA, who was born from Sage Parashara is going to perform niyoga and give an heir to the throne. I have already sent a message to him. He is on his way to Hastinapur."