RENOUNCING THE KINGDOM

After reaching the palace, all three of them couldn't sleep at night. Madri was sobbing continuously because of her guilt. She thinks that she is the one solely responsible for her husband's curse. 

Kunthi was sitting like a statue. She still can hear Sage Kindama's curse in her ears. 

Pandu was guilt-ridden for his act. And because of the curse, it is now impossible for him to give an heir to the family because he cannot impregnate his wives. 

The next day, he gathered all the court members and told everyone what happened yesterday during the hunting party and Sage Kindama's curse. Sathyavathi felt the sky fall on her head. She stumbled, Ambika and Ambalika supported her. Bhishma's heart was crushed. Dhritarashtra and Vidura couldn't believe their brother's fate.

Maharaj Pandu announced that he is renouncing the kingdom and leaving to the forest with his wives. He appointed Dhritarashtra as the Maharaj of the Hastinapur. Dhritarashtra said, "No Pandu. Don't do it. We cannot live without you. My day never gets fulfilled until I hear your voice. It is common for a human to make mistakes. Even there is no exception for gods and devas. Please Pandu don't leave us, brother."

Vidura came forward and said, "Brother, don't make hasty decisions. There will be some rituals or something to get you relieved from the sins. Please brother don't go."

 Sathyavathi, Ambika, Ambalika, Pitamaha, Vidura, Gandhari, Dhritarashtra, Kripacharya, everyone tried to change his mind. But in vain. Pandu was determined. 

At last, they accepted his decision. Pandu, Kunthi, and Madri gave up their royal clothes and jewelry. People of hasthinapur stood on both sides of the street and farewelled their Maharaj and Maharani with tears. 

Days went by.....

Pandu, Kunthi, and Madri were staying in a small hut in a forest. They were living in peace. Though they cannot bear children, Kunthi and Madri was devoted to their husband. Meanwhile, Dhritarashtra on the throne took care of Politics and the people. Even though he sat as a Maharaj, he missed his brother terribly. He sends letters to Pandu often and Pandu also writes back to him.

During this period Dhritarashtra developed a soft spot for Gandhari. He slowly started to fall in love with her. He started to take her on a walk in his gardens. And helped her walk around the palace. Gandhari was happy to receive his love. Looking at her happiness. Shakuni's heartfelt happiness.

Soon Gandhari got pregnant. Everyone was very happy. People of Hasthinapur also rejoiced at the pregnancy of their Maharani. The message was received by Pandu too. He was delighted at this news. Kunthi and Madri were happy for Gandhri.

During her pregnancy, Dhritarashtra took great care of her. 

One day Kunthi saw Pandu sitting near a pond and looking at a herd of deer. When she went near him, she saw him looking at a calf and his mother longingly. Kunthi understand his pain and sat near him. She asked, "Arya, what is troubling you?" "Kunthi look at the calf and its mother. When I married you, I was impressed by your maturity and your patience. I loved to see you as a mother. And Madri too. With her childish nature, I always wondered how will she raise a baby. Now all my dreams are shattered."

She didn't reply. Pandu noticed her looking at the herd and fell into silence. Both were sitting in silence. "Kunthi, it's getting dark. Come let's go to our hut." saying that he stood up. When Kunthi try to stand, she saw a lotus in the pond and remembered Maharishi Dhruvasa's mantra. "Arya, wait," Kunthi called Pandu. Pandu and look at her face, puzzled by her expression, he asked her what is it. She said, "When I was a teenager, I served Maharishi Dhruvasa. He was impressed with my service. So he gave a boon to me. It was a mantra. Whichever God I invoke through the mantra, I can bear a child. That child will be considered mine and my husband's. Arya, I think we can have a child."

Pandu couldn't believe his ears. He was excited and asked her "Why didn't tell me about this earlier Kunthi. My dream, it can be true. I can have children. Oh, Kunthi."  Pandu got overwhelmed.

"I can be a father. I can give an heir to the throne. My son will ascend the throne after my brother. He will be a Maharaj, Kunthi."

Looking at his excitement, Kunthi felt happy. But she was thinking "Is it right to tell Arya, that I have a son already?"