LAKSHAGRIHA

"Uncle, are you sure this plan will be successful?" Duryodhana asked Shakuni.

"My dear nephew. Why all these doubts about your uncle? Don't you believe me?" Shakuni asked him with a wicked smile. Duryodhana, Shakuni, Karna, and Dushasana are sitting in the chambers. Shakuni asked Duryodhana to send the Pandavas and their mother to Varnavrat for Pandu's death anniversary.

"So what plan is it anyway?" a curious Karna asked Duryodhana. Duryodhana took a small model of a palace in his hands and placed it before Karna. "What are you going to construct a separate palace for Pandavas?" he asked in confusion.

"Yes, Karna. But it is not a normal palace. This is a Lakshagriha (House of Wax) Finally I am going to get rid of those Pandavas and Hasthinapur will come to me in a golden platter." he smiled wickedly. "But Duryodhana isn't it Adharma? If you need the throne you should be fighting like a warrior for it. But..."

"Oh stop it, Karna. I am sick of this Dharma and Adharma. My dharma is to ascend the throne of Hasthinapur after my father. The throne is my birthright. Besides, the Pandavas were not born from my uncle, they are just a boon from devas. I will do anything for the throne. Anything" Karna's felt uneasy about this. This is not how a warrior fights he thought.  

The next day Duryodhana made Varnavrat people please Yudhisthira to come there for Pandu's death anniversary. And he too persuaded him to go. "Don't worry Brother Yudhishthira you can go in peace. I will take care of everything in your absence. And as for your stay, I already have our royal architect Purochana construct a palace for you there. Do enjoy your stay."

After receiving the letter Arjuna left Dwarka and went to Varnavrat. By the time he reached all of his other brothers and his mother came. "Arjuna" Kunthi happily engulfed him in a hug. "Mother, why are we here?" 

"It is your father's death anniversary Arjuna and the people of Varnavrat always loved him. So for this year, we are staying here." Kunthi explained. When he reached the Palace it was a little far from the village. "Purochana, why is the palace away from the village?" Sahadeva asked. "It is for something special, my prince. You will know it tonight," he said and went to prepare aarathi. 

Before entering Sahadeva held Arjuna's hand. "Brother I have a very bad feeling in here. Something isn't right." Arjuna nodded in response. Luckily the Pandavas shared the same room. 

As the evening comes there were no torches in Palace. When they asked Purochana about it he said that this Palace will have moonlight. He placed mirrors all over the palace for light's reflection. And to everyone's surprise, it was beautiful. 

Karna was affected. He was worried for Kunthi. For some unknown reason, his heart was heavy thinking about her dying in the house of wax. But he can do nothing about it. When Vidura noticed his weird behavior, he asked him about it. But Karna could not say anything though he slipped a few words. Vidura doubted Karna. For safety reasons, he sent a message to Pandavas. The message was delivered to them along with a mouse in a bag of rice. Though others do not understand, Arjuna and Yudhishthira understood. Pandava found out that the palace was made out of lacquer (wax), it was a trap set up by Kauravas. 

So they started digging a tunnel in secret without the knowledge of Purochana and his family. His wife and five of his sons were the only persons who stayed with them in the palace. There were no other helpers or guards. Shakuni sent a message to Purochana to kill them tonight. That night the mouse which was sent by Vidura had died eating the food. The food was poisoned. Pandavas got alert and took their mother. "What happened why everyone is tensed,"  Kunthi asked in concern. "Mother, this palace is made of lacquer. Duryodhana showed his wickedness again. He tried to poison us and after we pass out they will torch this palace burning us to the ground. We don't have much we should get out of this palace." Nakula said.

 When Purochana came to know that Pandavas got alert, he instructed his family to set the palace on fire. Purochana and his wife and sons torched all the entrances to the palace forgetting they are also inside it. When Pandavas reached the entrance it has already been devoured by flames. So they have to get back to the tunnels they were digging.

Kunthi was shattered, she never expected Duryodhana to be this evil. She knows that he wants the throne but she never expects to kill them. They are family.  

They took the tunnel and escaped. While they were escaping, Kunthi ordered Pandavas not to return to Hastinapura. She said they should return to the forest where they stayed when they were young with their father. She wanted her sons to live long and healthy and happy life. 

The Pandavas agreed for their mother's sake. Pandavas successfully escaped through the tunnels. But Purochana and his family perished in the fire. They were fools to light the palace with them inside it. 

When this news reached Hasthinapur, the entire Kuru clan was shaken to the core. Maharaj Dhritarashtra was heart broken, he was supposed to take care of his brother's family but he failed. Gandari lost her sister. Dhusala lost her favorite brothers and aunt.  Pitamaha couldn't accept the fact that Pandavas and Kunthi died. He felt at loss. He failed to protect his family. When he reached Varnavrat the place covered with ashes. The beautiful palace was no more. All they could find is body of six people, the face is not clear as they been completely destroyed by the fire. They assumed it to be Kunthi and Pandavas and maybe Purochana. 

Pitamaha was sitting in banks of river Ganga. His eyes were filled with tears. Then he felt a hand on his shoulders. It was Vidura. "Pitamaha"

"What am I going to do now Vidura. I thought all my responsibilities will be over when Yudhishthira ascends the throne. But now that wicked people killed my beloved. I never expect them to do this. I'll never going to see their beautiful faces ever again." Bheeshma's tear flows to his cheeks.

"Pitamaha, I already suspected this would happen. I have sent a warning message to Pandavas. Looks like they got it too. Because our spy found out a tunnel that was dug beneath the palace. Because of the fire it was closed. That's why no one knows about it. I think Pandavas and sister-in-law are fine. They will be alive, do not worry."

"But if they are alive, why they didn't come home. Where are they now Vidura?"

"Only time can tell us Pitamaha, come on now lets go inside. And no one should know that they are alive. Let us keep this in secret. I have already sent a troop to track them. Lets see"

Apart from Vidura and Bheeshma no one knew about this. The death of Pandavas and Kunthi spread throughout Barathvarsha. 

All the neighboring kingdoms sent their deepest condolences to Kuru family. But some of them were secretly happy that most powerful warriors have perished. King Vasudeva was shattered by the news of his sister's death. The Royal family of Yadhava clan was heart broken by the news. But Krishna seemed unaffected by the news. 

Apart from many broken hearts. There was one heart which is broken beyond repair because she lost her love. Her love.....Arjuna