THE YAJNA

Every minute is getting surprising for Pandavas and Kunthi. "Marriage? But Maiden you are Rakshasi and he is human." Kunthi said in a surprised tone.

"Yes, Devi. I am well aware of it. Isn't Rakshasi Kaikesi married to Sage Vishrava? This has happened before." Hidimbi said with tears in her eyes.

"Yes, we all know. and Ravana was born" Kunthi said trying to reason with her.

"Vibhishana was also born to them," Hidimbi said. Kunthi was surprised, she was right though Ravana was widely known for his chaos and abduction of Sita Devi. Vibishana was the opposite of him. He was pure to the heart. Though he was a rakshasa by birth he always chose the path of righteousness. That is why he accompanied Rama in the battle against his own brother.

"But, If he married you how will he live here? With Rakshasas?" Kunthi asked her.

Hidimbi bowed her head. After a few minutes of silence, She held her head high and walked to Kunthi, and folded her hands, "Maata, When I first saw your son, I fell in love with him. Now our clan needs a king. Let him marry me and give me a son. I will raise my son just like Vibhishana. He will follow the path of righteousness. I will never make your son stay longer after my son is born. In the future, I will not come to him. He will have no disturbance from our side. This is my promise to you please let me marry your son."

Hidimbi sobbingly bent down to touch Kunthi's feet. Kunthi smiled and was blessed. "Then prepare for the wedding. I am waiting to make you my daughter-in-law. "

Hidimbi got up and hugged Kunthi. The preparation for the wedding is done. Hidimbi and Bheema got married happily. Even though she is a rakshasi Bheema loved her with his whole heart. The brothers were also happy for him.

"Finally, Brother Bheema got someone to love other than food," Nakula said teasingly to which everyone laughed. Kunthi and others decided to stay with Bheema and Hidimbi in the forest with the Rakshasas.

After a year, Hidimbi gave birth to her son. It was the happiest day of her life and also the saddest. Bheema was very happy to see his son. He was just like him. He held him in his arms. Kunthi and others were also happy. Hidimbi came up to Bheema and asked him to name his son.

"Well he has a bald head so let me name him GHATOTKACHA," he said smilingly. Everyone around him laughs.

With tears in her eyes, Hidimbi walked to Bheema. "Arya I promised your mother that I will not make you stay longer after our son's birth. So it is time for you to leave."

Bheema also knew this day would come, but he was praying that it should not come any sooner. "But how will I leave you and my son? He was just born. I want to be here for him." Hidimbi started sobbing heavily. "But you have duties and responsibilities. And I can't break my promise. We lived a beautiful life for one year. I will cherish it forever in my heart. And do not worry about our son, if you ever want to see him just call out his name three times he will appear before you."

Bheema held his son in for the last time in his hands. Kunthi and others also took their turn.

"I couldn't believe that we are leaving our first nephew," Nakula said with tears in his eyes.

"I wish to see him grow up. Like his father." Yudhishthira said with a sad smile.

"Don't worry brother. He will be brought up just like us. Sister, you will be praised and worshiped." Sahadeva said as he kissed his nephew's forehead.

"He will always be in our hearts," Arjuna said as he kissed his tiny fingers.

Kunthi came forward and hugged her daughter-in-law, "You both will always be in our hearts dear. You are my first daughter-in-law. But I always saw you as my daughter." she kissed her forehead and blessed her. She then took her grandchild and kissed his cheeks and rocked him for a little time. Then she handed him over to Hidimbi.

Pandavas and Kunthi left the jungle. Everyone can see how heartbroken Bheema is to leave his wife and son behind. 

In Panchal.

Drupada was determined of getting a son. So he gathered sages all around his kingdom to perform a yajna for him to bear a son who will be capable of killing Drona. But unfortunately, no one is that capable to perform the yajna. Shikandini was heartbroken by his activities, she knew her father is now blinded with rage. So whatever his orders she was ready to carry over them.

After a few days, Sage Yaja and Sage Upyaja came to Panchal. "Drupada as per your wish we will perform the yajna. This yajna will bless you with a son and a daughter."

"A daughter. I already have a daughter who is a disappointment to me. I don't need a daughter." he said while pointing to Shikandini. 

"Then you can't have a son." Sage Yaja said. "Fine she can grow up in a corner of this palace. Let's begin with the yajna shall we." Drupad said with frustration. 

Soon the yajna begins. It was performed by many sages with Sage Yaja and Upyaja as head of the yajna. 

At the end of the yajna, King Drupada offered his armor and sword as a sacrificial offering. A youth emerged from the fire of the Yajna. He was wearing the armor that Drupada had sacrificed, he had the sword in a scabbard attached to his belt.  

Sage Yaja announced his birth, "This youth will be the destruction of Drona. He will spread the fame of his Kingdom throughout the world. He shall also remove all of your sorrows Drupada. The world will know him as DHRISHTADYUMNA. Your son, Drupada."

Drupada's happiness knew no bounds. When the youth stepped out of the Yajna's fire. He went straight to his father and touched his feet for his blessing. Drupada hugged him tight and said, "My son, today I am so happy for your birth. You are not only for my revenge but also for my glory."

"It is time for your daughter's birth Drupada." Sage Upyaja reminded him.

He had no intention of getting this daughter. But still, he offered a red saree, lotus, and Vermilion saffron to the yajna. Soon the fire of the Yajna rose to the sky. 

A maiden emerged from the fire. She was extremely beautiful. She was a dark complexion girl, with lotus-shaped eyes. With beautiful copper color nails and black curly hair which reached below her waist. She was the most beautiful woman. No one can match her beauty, not even the celestial beauties. She smelled like a blue lotus. She had the perfect body of all. Deep bosom with a slender waist. 

Sage Upyaja announced her birth, " This Maiden will be first of all women. She will be the destruction of many Kshatriyas. She will accomplish the purpose of the gods. She will be known by many names Yajnaseni ( the one who was born from fire ), Krishna ( One with a dark complexion), and Panchali ( the one from the Kingdom of Panchala). But she is your daughter so she will be called DRAUPADI ( the daughter of Drupada)."

Her face was glowing with radiance. Her eyes held fire within, it can warm someone and also burn someone. 

 Draupadi stepped out of the fire and went to her father for blessings. Such a beautiful daughter, Drupada could not bring himself to hate her. Her smile can light up even the darkest heart. He happily accepted her as his daughter. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Readers...!!!

      Please Vote and Comment. It means lot to us. Thank You all for your support. 

With lots of love

- Swathy :)