KUNTHI

A few palace guards who were hunting, spot a Deer deep in the forest. One of them aimed an arrow at it, and just before it hits the deer another arrow hits the arrow. The Deer escaped. The hunters turned in the direction from where the arrow came. And there the princess of Kunthi kingdom stood with the bow. The hunters approached her and greeted her with folded hands. One of them asked her, "Devi, why did you do that." She replied to them with a faint smile on her face, "You are not just hunting a deer, you are hunting a mother. She has just given birth to a calf."

They lowered their weapons and returned to the palace. Her handmaiden and her best friend Priyamvadha who was standing behind her asked her, "Still you are feeling guilty for what happened?" "How can I not priyamvadha, I abandoned my son. I left him in a basket and left it floating on the river Ganges," she replied in tears. 

A few years ago...

Kunthi was serving Maharishi Durvasa. Impressed by her services, patience, and devotion, he gave her a Mantra as a boon. Whichever god she invokes by the mantra will bless her with a child with their celestial qualities. But he also warned her not to try this casually or else she will be at disadvantage. Kunthi who was just a teenager then was curious about the mantra. One day, she playfully tried the mantra. She invoked Surya Deva with the mantra. To her surprise, he showed up in front of her eyes. She was so happy that the Mantra worked. She got blessings from him and also got a SON. She was terrified of it. She said, "Surya deva, I just wanted to check this mantra. I am unmarried, I cannot have a son right now. The whole world will blame my character, they will question my chastity. Please, I don't wish to have a son right now."

But Surya Deva refused her pleadings. He said, "I am sorry Kunthi. But you are the one who invoked me through the mantra. The Mantra will pay off. You will bear my son. But do not worry. Once you gave birth to him, you will become a Virgin again. My son will be born with natural armor and earrings. Just like me, he will shine in this world with Dharma. The world will know him as KARNA." 

Kunti was ashamed of her actions. she gave birth to a beautiful boy. His face has the radiance of The Sun. She was terrified of the backlashing from society. She thinks of her father, who has to hang his head down for her actions. 

She had only one choice, abandon him. With a heavy heart, she took a basket and filled it with lotus flowers. She placed her child in it and let it afloat in the River Ganges. She prayed to Surya Deva for his protection.

Back in the present.....

Kunthi was sitting near the banks of the river Ganges, where she had abandoned her son. A palace guard came to her and announced that she was asked to present in the court today for her svayamvar. Kunthi had no interest in her marriage, but for her father's sake, she accepted. She went to the palace and started to get ready.

Soon she was presented in the Svayamvar. King Kunthiboja blessed his daughter and said, "Kunthi, your happiness is most important to me. Even though you are not my biological daughter, I have always loved you like my own. Today the court is filled with the best suitors. Pick one and put the garland in their neck."

Kunthi never looked at anyone, she simply addressed them, "Thank you princes and kings for attending my svayamvar. There will be no competition for you all to win my hand in marriage. But there is one question. Whose answer brings satisfaction to me will be my groom. I hope there is no objection from anyone."

The Suitors shared a glance, but they all accepted for proposal. She stated her question, "Devi Ahalya, the most beautiful creation of Bhrama Deva. She was cursed by her husband Maharishi Gautama to be a stone. He cursed her because she lost her chastity with Indra Deva. But Rama redeemed her from the curse. Why? Isn't it a bad example for society?"

The suitors, one by one gave her their answers, but none of their answers satisfied her. Finally, Maharaj Pandu answered, "What Rama did was Dharma. Devi Ahalya lost her chastity to Indra Deva because he disguised himself as Maharishi Gautama. According to her, she did her wifely duty to her husband. She satisfied him because she thought that the man standing in front of her is her husband. It is not her fault. That's why Rama redeemed her from her curse."

He won her heart with the answer. Kunthi put the garland around Maharaj Pandu's neck and took his hand as her husband. 

Their marriage happened lavishly. They returned to Hasthinapur as Maharaj and Maharani. The people who stood on both sides of the streets welcomed them with flower petals. A young who stood on the side of the road threw a lotus at her, Kunthi caught the flower but before she have a look at him, the chariot sped away. By looking at the flower she remembered her son. The boy who threw the flower was standing and looking at the chariot which was gone far now, behind him, his mother called him, "Karna, come here. Your father is calling you, my dear."