SHANTANU'S LOVE

Since his childhood, Maharaj Shantanu loved to walk on the banks of the river Ganga. Every day he comes to the banks, somehow he feels that the rushing river Ganga calms his heart. 

One day while walking on the banks of the river, he saw a maiden trying to get the floating water lily near the banks. She was wearing a beautiful silver saree with white beads, and her waist-high curly black hair was braided and dressed with flowers. Her earrings were dancing along with the wind. Maharaj Shantanu couldn't see her face, he went near her and asked " Maiden what are you doing here?", he asked her this because he had never seen any of his people there. The Maiden turned and looked at his face. Maharaj Shantanu went still for a minute. He was smitten by her enchanting beauty. She smiled at him and looked at his bright eyes. Neither of them started talking. 

"Your highness, you were asking something?" said Ganga. Maharaj Shantanu snapped out. He said, " I can help you with picking those flowers." Ganga smiled  and said, "It's not necessary your highness, I can do this on my own."  While she was collecting those flowers, Maharaj Shantanu was looking at her.

After collecting the lilies Ganga was about to leave, "Wait, will we ever see each other again?" asked her in a longing tone. She said "We will, my king" and she left. Maharaj Shantanu returned to his palace. Days went by, but he couldn't get his mind off her. He was thinking about her the whole time. For the first time in his life, he was doing his duties without any attention.  

Maharaj Shantanu realized that he fell in love with her. He started looking for her everywhere. He sent his commander-in-chief and some of the palace guards to find her. But in vain. He couldn't find her. Maharaj Shantanu felt at loss. He was about to give up.

One day he was strolling through his father's royal private gardens. while he was strolling, he saw a white water lily floating in the ponds. He closed his eyes and saw her beautiful face, he was determined to find her. He took his horse and rode to the banks of river Ganga. He rode far from his palace, and he found her.

Ganga looked at Shantanu getting down from his horse. "You found me, my king," Ganga said. "It took me some days but yes I did," he replied. Maharaj Shantanu went near her, he didn't take his eyes off of her. He looked into her eyes and asked " Devi, Will you marry me? I will make you the queen of Hasthinapur." Ganga smiled and said " I will Marry you but only under one condition." Maharaj Shantanu asked her " What is it Devi ?". " You should not ask any questions about my actions, if you do so, I will leave you."  Hearing these words confused him for a minute, but he didn't thought about it much. He said, "As you wish Devi, I give you my word, I will never question your actions." 

Maharaj Shantanu and Ganga got married. The entire kingdom was awestruck by her beauty, the people of Hasthinapur thought that they have been blessed with a Goddess as a queen. Maharaj Shantanu finally felt his life is complete. He loved her and completely devoted to her. They lived happily.

Within a year of their marriage, Ganga Devi gave birth to a boy. Maharaj Shantanu's happiness knew no bounds. He announced his son's birth to the entire kingdom and the whole Hasthinapur was preparing to celebrate their prince's arrival. 

But Maharaj Shantanu's happiness doesn't last long.