GURU DRONA

It was twilight, Pitamaha Bhishma was standing on the royal balcony and looking at Hasthinapur with a heavy heart. Vidura came to the balcony and understand Pitamaha Bhishma by the looks on his face. "Worrying about Pandavas and Kauravas?" he said with a sigh. "Yes, Vidura. I know they quarreled all the time, they are children. But what happened now is unacceptable. I know Duryodhana is so young and incapable of such things. He is just a puppet and the puppeteer is Shakuni." They both stood in silence.

Kripacharya joined them on the balcony. "Pitamaha Bhishma, I got news from Kripi."  he continued, "Kripi with her family moved to the north of our kingdom, and Drona setting up Gurukula."

A thought crossed Pitamaha's mind. "Kripa, send a letter to Drona, ask him to present in the court."

A few days after.....

All the courtiers were present in the court. Shakuni, Gandhari, Kunthi, Kauravas, and Pandavas, everyone was presented. The royal guard announced the arrival of Drona. 

Dronacharya entered the courtroom and addressed everyone. With saffron fabric around his body and Rudraksha around his neck, he was a strong man. The beard covered most of his face yet his eyes were sharp as a knife. He had a strong aura around him.

Kripacharya stood and introduced him to the court, "This is Drona. He is the son of Sage Bharadwaj. My sister Kripi was married to him and they have a son name ASHWATTHAMA. And the reason we invited him to the court is that Pitamaha Bhishma wishes Pandavas and Kauravas to be the disciples of Drona. For the fruitious future of our Hasthinapur Kingdom, this court decided to send our young ones to Drona's Gurukula.

No one expected this. Even Maharaj was surprised by it, "Pitamaha, You have not consulted about this with me." Pitamaha stood from his seat, "Son, you have every right to decide on your children's education. But after you, one of them going to ascend the throne. And I Bhishma, have taken an oath to protect the throne and this Kingdom. I want all of them to be trained well in politics, management, warfare, and most importantly discipline." He catches a glimpse of Duryodhana who was standing near his uncle Shakuni. "I think Dronacharya will be the most suitable Guru for our children."

After some time Maharaj Dhritarashtra said, "Pitamaha, I always believe you. I know about Dronacharya too. He was brought up in his father, Sage Baradwaj's gurukula and he got knowledge of celestial weapons from Parasurama. No doubt in his knowledge. Then it is settled Guru Drona will stay in Hasthinapur and teach Kauravas and Pandavas."

"Pardon me, your majesty. But I never said I will stay and teach. If the princes of Hasthinapur need to gain the knowledge they must come to my Gurukula." Dronacharya speaks.

"If a man never gives up anything in his life, he gains nothing in his life. If you want your young ones to rule the world then they must give up something. They must give up the royal lifestyle. They must give up the cushion chairs and silk clothes. They must give up an everyday feast. Let me take them to my gurukul. They have to undergo many hardships and training to rule this Hasthinapur Kingdom."

Even though his heart knew what Dronacharya said was right, Dhritarashtra couldn't bear the thought of sending his children far away from home. But he must decide as a King, he needs his son Duryodhana to excel in politics, management, and warfare. He wants him to excel in everything. With a heavy heart, he accepts Dronacharya's proposal.

Kauravas and Pandavas were preparing to leave for Gurukula. Duryodhana was disheartened, he went to his uncle, "Uncle, I don't want to go. Why should I go?" Shakuni caressed his hair lovingly and asked him to sit next to him. "Dear, look at the lamp. Can you see the thread burning? Only if the thread burns it can give light. Just like that if you want to ascend the throne you have to overcome many hardships. Do not worry Duryodhana, don't you want to be strong as your father?" "Yes, uncle. I want to be as strong as my father." "You can be stronger than him. Come on now, your mother and father will be waiting for you."

Kunthi was troubled. She knew that Bheema was lying. But she never asked him. Now all her sons are leaving her for training. She was worried for them. Yudhishthira noticed her. "Mother, do not worry about us. We can take care of each other. Please take care of yourself. For now, there will be no one to take care of you."

"Do not trouble yourself, prince. I am here for her" A voice came. Kunthi smiled knowing whose voice that is. Yudhisthira greeted her and asked her who is she. "I am Priyamvadha. Your mother's handmaiden and friend. When I heard she returned to the palace, I wanted to be with her. I think now I have a purpose. You can go and learn without worrying about your mother. I will take care of her."

Everyone was standing in front of the Royal palace to farewell the Kauravas and Pandavas. They got blessings from all the elders. The Pandavas hugged their mother tightly for one last time. Gandhari was sobbing, she couldn't bear the separation from her hundred children.

The chariots left the palace. Within a few minutes, all the chariots were gone. The palace was quiet. It has never been quiet. All the children will be running back and forth, playing and fighting, crying and chatting. The palace felt so alive with their presence. Now that they are gone, it will never be the same. Because when they return they will be teenagers.