Chapter 63

Cal looks at the black spot on the ceiling with Scott, Liam, Mason and Corey "That's how he got in?" Corey asks

Cal looks at the black spot on the ceiling with Scott, Liam, Mason and Corey "That's how he got in?" Corey asks. "What is it?" Liam questions. "It's a point of impact from a lightning strike." Mason responds. "Usually you'd find charred spots like that on the ground after a violent thunderstorm." Cal explains. "That's how the Ghost Riders got in. He rode the lightning." Scott says, eyes widening. "If they can use lightning to pass the Mountain Ash..." Liam trails off. "No place is safe." Scott finishes. "What about the others? It's my fault they're marked." Corey says sadly. "We'll find a way to protect them. All of them." Cal responds determinedly.

At school Cal stands between Ethan and Jackson while Lydia and Aiden show them, Scott and Malia an ID card "It's a relic." Lydia tells them. "What's a relic?" Malia's asks confused. "An object with a fix association to the past. Jake's ID was left behind after he was taken and Gwen found her sister's bracelet in her bathroom for." Lydia explains. "How can someone be erased and still leave something behind?" Malia asks. "Conservation of mass. The total of mass of any isolated system remains constant." Cal says. "So the Ghost Riders have a weakness." Scott realises. "A relic would be the prove that Stiles existed," Malia says. "And we could bring him back." Cal nods. Jackson kisses Cal's head "We'll get him back." he tells him. "Whatever it takes." Ethan adds.

Cal walks into the library with Ethan and Jackson to find Mason and Liam talking "We need to hide them." Mason tells Liam. "We need to fight them." Liam responds. "We need to hide them." Mason repeats. "Who's them?" Jackson asks. "The Ghost Riders." Liam responds. "The kids of the party." Mason says at the same time. "Got it." Ethan says as Cal tries not to laugh at the miscommunication between the two. "We can get a lightning rod. Attract the Ghost Riders and catch them off guard." Liam explains. "Since everyone from the party are in danger, all we need to do is find a safe place for them to hide until the storm passes." Mason counters. "The Ghost Riders ride the lightning. Nowhere is safe." Liam tells him. "It is, if we're underground. The Earth can ground lightning of eletrical charges. Everyone would be safe." Cal cuts in. "Okay. We'll do the deal. We take veryone to the Argent bunker underground, it's lined with Mountain Ash." Jackson suggests. "We stopped the Ghost Riders last night. We could do it again." Liam tells them. "We didn't stop them. They just retreated, we don't know why." Ethan corrects. "Okay. But how we get them all to the bunker?" Liam asks. "I don't know. Come on, let's find Scott. He might have an idea." Cal says, making the other four nod.

That evening Cal goes to head to the bunker with Jackson and Ethan when he gets a call from Scott "Hey, Jackson, Ethan and I are just on our way. Sorry we're running late, Pyrrhus didn't want us to go." he explains. "It's fine, meet us at the school. The players have snuck out to go to the game." Scott responds. "Okay, we're on our way now." Cal responds, hanging up. "What's going on?" Jackson asks as Cal heads over. "We need to meet the others at the school. The students on the team, who were at the party, snuck out to play the game." Cal explains. "Let's go." Ethan nods, climbing in the car. Cal nods and climbs in the back, Jackson climbing in the front "What's the plan when we get there?" Jackson asks as Ethan starts driving. "Scott didn't say." Cal responds.

Arriving at the school, Cal, Ethan and Jackson jog over to Scott, Liam, Mason and Corey "So, what's the plan?" Liam asks. "Convince the three players that playing tonight is a bad idea." Scott responds, turning to Mason "You read everything about the Ghost Riders." he says. "Yeah." he nods. "And you're the only one of us that figured anything out. Have you come across anything that can stop them?" Scott asks. "Not yet but I can try." Mason responds. "Do that." Scott tells him, leading the others into the changing room. Coach hands Scott his lacrosse helmet in anger "You're late, McCall! Why aren't you people dressed? Get your asses moving. Everyone, on, the field! Hustle! Hustle! HUSTLE!" he exclaims, leaving the room. "We'll never get them on the bunker now." Liam sighs. "Get dressed." Scott tells them. "Because there's only one way to keep them safe." Cal realises. "Play the game." Scott nods.

The six of them change and walk out to the field, joining the rest of team "Ethan and I'll stay with Steinbach and Wallace." Scott starts, looking at Liam and Jackson "You two stay with Gwen." he continues, turning to look at Corey and Cal "And you with Okafur." he finishes. "What if I see the Ghost Riders?" Corey asks. "Yell. Get ready to fight." Scott responds. The game starts and the Cyclones start to loose, the Bulldogs making the result 3-0 "What are you doing out there?!" Coach shouts. As the game continues the crowd starts acting weird "What's gotten into everyone?" Liam asks. "What if it's the Wild Hunt? What if it's affecting everyone?" Cal suggests. "They're here!" Scott realises. "I see them!" Liam, exclaims as rain starts pouring. "So do I." Cal and Jackson add simultaneously. The referee blows the whistle, wanting to stop the match as the rain gets worse "Oh, come on, ref! This is barely a thunderstorm!" Coach exclaims. "Okay. We've got all three, right?" Scott asks as they get the players together. "Scott, there were four." Liam tells him. Looking over they see one of the players being taken "Oh my God! They're real. We got to get out of here." Okafur says. "Stay together, we'll protect you." Cal tells them. "How?" Gwen asks. "Run!" Scott exclaims. "Stay close." Liam tells them as they run, making them all go in a circle. Corey let's go of Scott as they run "I can still see them! Liam!" Scott exclaims. "We can't stop them!" Liam responds. "Protect Gwen!" Cal tells him. "Come on!" Gwen shouts. "NOOO!" Scott exclaims as the players are taken. Cal pants, leaning against Jackson with Ethan kissing his head.

The group start heading into the school, all feeling down "Everyone on the bunker has been taken." Scott tells them. "Everyone? How?" Mason asks. "It doesn't matter how." Liam responds. "Malia is at the hospital. Argent's been hurt. My mom's with them." Scott says. "Scott... Tonight..." Liam trails off. "No. Hey, it's not your fault. It's mine. We should have done both, defend the bunker and use a lightning rod. It would have given us a better chance." Scott tells him, walking off. "You okay?" Mason asks Liam. "No." Liam responds as they head into the locker room. .There he is. Look at that! The humility. The grace. Sure, that wasn't lacrosse we played out there tonight. That was la-crap! But you... You stayed on the field while the rest of these losers ran inside." Coach smiles. "Coach, we lost. We lost everything." Liam tells him. "Listen to the despair! The rage simmering underneath it! See that, people? He still thinks he can win. That's why next time, he will win. Because he will find a way. Now, show your new captain some love, you pukes! I said, 'Show him some love!'" Coach exclaims, the team beginning to chant Liam's name. Cal smiles slightly knowing that Liam deserves the spot of Captain once Scott leaves for college.