Chapter 34

Cal stands with Jackson and Ethan in a corridor of the school

Cal stands with Jackson and Ethan in a corridor of the school. "I hate tests." he mutters tapping his hands on his legs. "Hey you'll do great." Ethan tells him holding his hand. Cal looks down and nods "doesn't mean I have to like it." he sulks making Jackson and Ethan chuckle. "Come on, we need to go meet the others." Jackson smiles leading them to the rest of the pack.

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asks as they join the group. "She's took it her freshman year." Jackson explains. "Same with Lou." Cal adds. "Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asks. "Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Isaac tells her. "Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." Malia stresses. "Well..." Stiles corrects making Cal shake his head. "Well, what?" Malia asks. "It's do well, not good." Stiles explains making Malia freak out. "Oh, God! Okay, okay."

Cal slaps Stiles' arm the same time as Cora. "Ow." Stiles pouts making Cora chuckle and peck his lips. Cal makes a yuck face making everyone chuckle. "You're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott tells everyone. "It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira adds. "Famous Last Words." Cal smirks before humming the tune to the My Chemical Romance song. Stiles looks at his brother "Really?" he asks. Cal shrugs "I don't like tests. The music calms me." he explains.

Cal sits in front of Stiles spinning a pencil in his fingers. "Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so. This test is two hours and 10 minutes. There will be two 25-minute critical reading sections, two 25-minute math sections and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes. There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam." Simon, the exam invigilator, explains. Ms Martin nods" I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again." she says walking out the room.

After a couple of minutes Ms Martin walks back in" I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?" she asks Simon." We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break. You may now open your test booklets and begin." Simon tells everyone. Cal opens the booklet and starts answering the questions. After a while he starts feeling his hands get all clammy. Cal shakes his head slightly as Sydney falls from her chair.

"Sydney! Are you all right?" Ms Martin asks. "I'm okay. I just got kind of dizzy." Sydney assured her. Ms Martin looks at her wrist spotting a red sore. "Sydney, how long have you had this?" she asks the girl. "I don't know." Sydney tells her confused. "Ms. Martin, do I need to stop the test?" Simon asks. "No, um, it's fine. Everybody stay in your seats. I'll, um, be back in a minute. Nobody leaves the room." Ms Martin says leaving the room. Cal looks at the door confused as Ms Martin starts shouting "Get back! No! Do not come in here! Get back outside!" Everyone rushes to the door to look at her "Back to your seats. Now. Please." Ms Martin tells them. Cal walks back to his seat and looks at his shaking hands as he listens to Ms Martin in the corridor. "I need the number of the CDC. Yes, the Center for Disease Control." Ms Martin says on the phone.